General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Purchasing a used 2005 Coupe EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Default Purchasing a used 2005 Coupe EX

Hi,

I'm in the process of searching for a 2005 Honda Civic EX Coupe.

I tried to break down my post in about 4 bolded parts, just to make it easier if you guys would like to help answer some of the questions I have. Any insight or wisdom from you would be greatly appreciated.

Well, so I've been on Craigslist looking around as well as other sites like autotrader. A reason why I registered for this site is because I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for sites I should utilize in this search.

I also came here because I was hoping I could gain insight so that I can wind up making the right used car purchase.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about purchasing used cars, discovering potential problems, that sort of thing. I was wondering from those with used car purchasing experiences, if there is anything I should be cautious about, look for first, place emphasis on when I'm looking over a prospective vehicle I might purchase?

When I contact parties I try to gain as much information as I can about the vehicle. For instance: 1) The reason why they're selling the vehicle. 2) Whether they are the original owner of the vehicle. 3) Whether they compiled a list of service records for the car. 4) How old the driver is of the car. 5) Whether the car has been involved in any form of accident, such as a fender bender. 6) What the mileage of the car is (if not provided initially). Are there any other types of questions that I should ask private owners to get an idea of whether I should or should not purchase their vehicle?

Lastly, my dad said that I should look for a vehicle with mileage around 10,000-12,000 miles accumulated per year since it was released.

Not taking into account whether the owner I buy from abused the car, or did not maintain the car in a great fashion, should there be a limit on the mileage of the cars I consider?

So for like a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe. Should it matter, not taking into account other factors, if I purchase a car with 100,000+ miles or should I specifically aim to find a car with less mileage? What is the range I should look for?

Again, thanks for any help. I greatly appreciate it.