General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advice on Civic engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Default Advice on Civic engine failure

Hello Folks,

New member here and before that a frequent reader since a long time. I registered to actually seek some advise.

I have a '06 Honda Civic which was very well maintained through my dealership and worked fine until yesterday. I was on the freeway doing 65 mph, and the engine suddenly stalled and the power steering and brakes locked up. I was lucky I didn't get into an accident and used my muscle power and emergency brakes to stop the vehicle. Anyways, I got my car towed into the dealership this morning, and they give me a call back and informed me that the engine burnt out ( they said something to the effect of that the dipstick had melted ), and the car needed a new engine. Fortunately, he said it would be covered under Honda's warranty since they couldn't find any fault with "external sources" or "driver negligence". So basically Honda gave me a s****y engine in the first place.

Now I have 3 questions...

1) Does Honda have a rental car reimbursement program, and if not should I press my dealer into giving me a rental car?

2) Should I politely accept the offer for a free engine replacement at the cost of 2 weeks of no transport? -or-

3) Press them or Honda Corp. to replace the entire car itself, since I don't want a car where the engine has failed and god only knows what is next? I am not sure if I can use lemon laws to help my case, but imagine selling it to someone who would have its carfax report indicating an engine replacement?

Thanks for your input....

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i can say that i would try to just get a rental, but i dont know laws. you might be entitled to more or less.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 AM

The dealership might have a loaner car/"courtesy car". Some do, some don't.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you didn't buy any extra warranty, the factory 3/36 warranty would have expired, so Honda is doing you a favor in the first place. I seem to remember there was a problem some of these engines developing a leak and burning up, so they are pretty liberal with out of warranty replacements. The leaky engine problem has been resolved, so you just need a new engine not a whole new car, it's not a lemon.

Even if it were under the factory warranty, Honda isn't obligated to provide a rental / loaner car, but some dealers do as a matter of dealer policy.

It really shouldn't take two weeks to obtain and install a new engine.

Last edited by mk378; 08-04-2010 at 05:28 AM.