General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Really in need of help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Default RE: Really in need of help.

Ok, I've recently been hearing that there is no way possible a civic could get 12's on a track without having somekind of boost, and then i was told, that even if I had some kind of boost, unless i invested somewhere around 15-20,000 into the engine and turbo, with the limited amount of torque my engine would be giving i would still have hardly any chance of pulling off 12 seconds with my honda. I was told if I want 12 seconds, and if I want it to be cost effective, I should get a mr2 with a turbo upgrade and that should be close to 12's. Can anyone explain this? I mean, I even read a magazine yesterday that the guy had a 12.4 second 94 civic, but at the same time he had a T601 turbo on it, invested 15,500 into the motor, and it had 380 horsepower.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

With the si, you can piece together a turbo kit for over 1000, then if your gonna turn up the boost you have to build up the engine, but you will be able to get into the 12s easily if you turbo and build the motor. And no it wont be anywhere near what you said (unless you really spend money on every single component in the engine)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kameli0n

Ok, I've recently been hearing that there is no way possible a civic could get 12's on a track without having somekind of boost, and then i was told, that even if I had some kind of boost, unless i invested somewhere around 15-20,000 into the engine and turbo, with the limited amount of torque my engine would be giving i would still have hardly any chance of pulling off 12 seconds with my honda. I was told if I want 12 seconds, and if I want it to be cost effective, I should get a mr2 with a turbo upgrade and that should be close to 12's. Can anyone explain this? I mean, I even read a magazine yesterday that the guy had a 12.4 second 94 civic, but at the same time he had a T601 turbo on it, invested 15,500 into the motor, and it had 380 horsepower.
my friend has a 94 ex coupe with a b20 motor (stock block/head)/gsr trans/75 wet shot and he runs 12.3-12.4s all day with full interior, system, and on 17" wheels....

Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

So you were asking which one should you pick to start on. My reccomendation would be to look at the price for both of them now, and see what you could get for them. Then consider which one of them you might be able to sell for a higher price after puoring your heart into it. If you start with a car thats 9 years old by the time your done working on it you still have a fairly new car. Thats just a thought. Also i would consider which one you want to use as a daily driver, and which one might eventually turn into a trailer queen. The Hatch is lighter, but also older, but it sounds as though you might have to sink some money into the si to make it run. if you are going to have it apart anyway to fix it, it makes sense to me to make that one the racer. Just my 2 cents

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 PM

So, now you are saying that I should either go for a B18, or a K-series motor, so my question is, are there different generations of engines? Should I be looking for a specific b18 engine? Are there any places that I could get the engine and be guaranteed not to get ripped off? If I decided to go with the turbo then, what size cams would I need if I was running a low amount of boost? Say, 6-10 lbs of boost? Would I still sleeve the engine? What size cams would I need then, and another thing I did not understand is that I am seeing ITR engines, this is beginning to be confusing, all places I am seeming to look are all selling the engines at, for the most part the same price level, I just did not know if certain engines are from certain vehicle years, and I was not sure if there was a specific year I should be searching for. I was also told that if I ran 6-8 lbs of boost through the turbo I would not really have to worry about reliability because that little amount of boost would not hurt the engine at all. I was not too sure about this information but I thought I would just ask. Thanks alot everybody.