General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Rear License Plate Bolts/Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Rear License Plate Bolts/Screws

kommando, do you know what a self tapping screw does??? Read the name out loud, Self - Tapping - Screw. Okay, so what do we need?? The hole is probably f'ed since the regular screw does not work. So we need a screw and we need to tap the hole, so let's just do it in one f'ing step. Get a self tapping screw.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

kommando, do you know what a self tapping screw does??? Read the name out loud, Self - Tapping - Screw. Okay, so what do we need?? The hole is probably f'ed since the regular screw does not work. So we need a screw and we need to tap the hole, so let's just do it in one f'ing step. Get a self tapping screw.
Yes, I know exactly what a self-tapping screw does. I've used them many times to fasten brackets to sheetmetal for projects that DIDN'T involve pre-existing threads that are stripped, especially anywhere around expensive auto body panels. Judging by the attitude,they must be theanswer to everything you work on. Do you know what a TAP does? It PROPERLY taps existingholes so that you can use a screw/bolt with matching threads.

"Self-tapping" is actually a misnomer. They should be called self-drilling, because they don't "tap" threads in any resemblance to metric or SAE threads that I've ever encountered. They are merely made capable ofdrilling a hole through sheetmetal so that switching between a drillbit and a screwdriver isn't necessary. I wouldn't use them anywhere near a body panel on my car though, especially where a threaded hole already existed.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Dude, it's on a LICENSE PLATE. That's not a fender, bumper, door hinge, but a license plate. This guy is looking for a fix. I gave him the quick, easy, and inexpensive fix. The fact that he asked how to fix the problem led me to believe that he does not have a tap and die kit. So, why have him buy taps when all he needs in something to work properly.

I'm am surprised you are familiar with self tapping screws to know that their maden/proper name is self drilling. This is not a cut at your knowledge, it's just that most people would not know that if asked. I told him to get the size larger than the hole so it will drill out the crapped threads and it will thread itself. The threads of the screw will make the hole threaded.

The only difference between a self-trapping screw and a regular (machine screw) is the tip. The machine screw has a flat tip and the self tap screw has the pointed drill tip.

Why are you trying to scare this guy?? Most of the time, if the screw is all loose in the hole, retapping will not help. You'll most likely have to increase the size of the hole and tap it a size up. Then get a bigger machine screw to finish up the job. That is very time consuming especially for a license plate!!!!!!

When I went to college I worked at a hardware store (Neu's Building Center) full time. I was the store's handyman (or their b!tch if you want to be a dick about it.). I spent more time than I've every wanted to in the screw aisle explaining the use and function of all the different styles and size screws.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM

or you could take a lazier way out and take the nut part off of the car and use some hollow wall screws through that non threaded hole that you have just created.

Had a similar situation with mine because the previous owner of my car messed it up and i still cant figure out how(its a f***in license plate!!) but yea that would work and now there is no noise at all when ive my my music up high

Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya do use selftaping screws get some sheet metal type... they have realy fine threads which are alot beter on thinner metal....

and if it rattles along the bottom like mine...... get a hot glue gun and just put some glue behind the place and even some around the bottom little slot as well put the glue on the car while its still hot hold the plate up where it should be for about 1-2mins enough time for the hot glue to cool and harden... and no more plate rattle

and hot glue will still peel right off so if ya have to swap the plate its just as simple! just pull the glue off and apply more when ya put it back on