General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Shifting W/ an Automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Shifting W/ an Automatic??

Just stop doing it. If you want to drive like that, trade it in for a manual. With a M/T, you won't be killing the whole tranny, you will just need clutch replacements quite frequently if you drive like that all the time.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

Very very bad for your car. Like they said above, its meant for hills, not to race. Just step on the gas when you wanna go fast, dont shift anything.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

from first hand experience i had a 91 thunderbird super coupe and i did that and not more than 5 months later after doing it occasionally the tranny slipped and kept me at redline til i could stop and i blew the head gaskets and the tranny! its not cool when you do it and people don't look at you like damn he has a stick shift he is bad ***. just stop doing it unless you wanna fork the dough by christmas time
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: casperdude898

wouldnt that be the same as shifting a slap stick but with a stock shifter? i didnt think it would mess it up to bad as long as u dont run it to death in each gear
no, a slapstick shifter is a sequential transmission, a different beast entirely.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 AM
HCF Member

agreed with that one guy who said you'll be dishing out the money.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Super Cereal Admin

for the record, if you read your car's manual, it says that you can drive it like a standard. I'm going to guess that if it's in the manual then it can't be all that bad for the transmission. And, yes, I've driven my auto like a manual before. You guys want to know why? Because I want a manual; that's why. And when I eventually blow up my auto transmission, guess what's going in instead of the auto. That's right; a manual. Sometimes, you have to blow up a d16 to get a b18

but to cover my own ***, don't drive it like a standard unless you're like me and you're just looking for a good excuse to do a manual swap.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 AM

I think the manual is saying you can use it like a M/T if its gradual, not redlining it and slamming it up into the next gear, if you shift the automatic, manually, like the transmission would do normally, it would probally be okay, but to race it like a manual, not a good idea.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well EVEN IF THE MANUAL says its ok... ya like the other guy said... normal driving..... not racing...
think about it... if ya do that with a manual NO HUGE DEAL cause replacing the clutch is easy enough.... BUT on a automatic you gotta pull the whole tranny apart and replace all the clutch plates. ALOT MORE EXPENSIVE!!!!

only reason ive EVER driven outta D is cause of icy country roads or a realy hard steep hill.... BUT THATS VERY RARE!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

just plain and simple

DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN

Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

have fun tearing up your tranny... if you bought an 07 civic new, then why didn't you just get a stick instead of an automatic?

Quick Reply: Shifting W/ an Automatic??