General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Speed Govenors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Default Speed Govenors

Right I just wanted to make sure I had the facts right about speed govenors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Every relatively new car has one.

- Newer cars (exact date?) have govenors that are hard-wired into the car and cannot be removed without causing problems.

- The only way to remove the restriction is by reprogramming the ECU/buying a modified one.

- No matter what modifications you do to your car, it will still cut off at a specific speed.

Looking for answers!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Speed Govenors

ORIGINAL: alecrust
Right I just wanted to make sure I had the facts right about speed govenors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
- Every relatively new car has one.
- Newer cars (exact date?) have govenors that are hard-wired into the car and cannot be removed without causing problems.
- The only way to remove the restriction is by reprogramming the ECU/buying a modified one.
- No matter what modifications you do to your car, it will still cut off at a specific speed.
Looking for answers!
- No. Not every vehicle needs one. 4cyl Wranglers, for example. I also doubt that a Bugatti Veyron is governed. It probably runs out of power or revs at it's top speed. There are other vehicles like these alleged examples.
- It depends on the vehicle and your level of expertise.
- It depends on the vehicle.
- It depends on the vehicle. Most vehicles have a rev-limiter these days, but it can be disabled too.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Interesting. Thanks for your response Kommando. So it would be possible to remove the restrictions on my 98 civic hatch? If so, the obvious question remains - how?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Please man, no more talk of top speeds and/or limiter removal. Its been discussed time and time again, and will end in an argument, gauranteed.

Here, everything you need to know show be in this thread.. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_441513/tm.htm