General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advice on Civic 08

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Default Advice on Civic 08

Hi all, my name is Raymond. I am new to this forum and also new to Honda civic.
I just got a civic 08 coupe last month, and would like to ask some stupid questions regarding to maintenance.

1. It seems to me that the body is kinda thin and easy to be scatched (maybe because I used to drive an american car), how you guys maintain the body and outlook of the car?

2. It is quite noticable to me that when I am driving on the highway, the car is not very stable. Is it because of the light-weight of the car, or any problems on the suspensions?

3. What kinds of detailers that you guys can recommend to me? (e.g., make it glossy, protect against pollutants)

4. Snowing is a big problem in my city, I am wondering is there any product that can repel snow/ice from the body?

In fact, the 08 civic coupe is a very nice ride. Very gas efficient and quiet
I'm loving it!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice on Civic 08

ORIGINAL: peanuts
Hi all, my name is Raymond. I am new to this forum and also new to Honda civic.
I just got a civic 08 coupe last month, and would like to ask some stupid questions regarding to maintenance.

1. It seems to me that the body is kinda thin and easy to be scatched (maybe because I used to drive an american car), how you guys maintain the body and outlook of the car?
It shouldn't be any easier to scratch than any other normal paint job. It might dent a little easier though, but that is typical of most newer vehicles. Most dealers offer a clear-coat/rust inhibitor package that might protect your paint and panels better. I prefer Herculiner for rocker panels, underbody, and floor...but my other car is a Wrangler. Clearcoat and wax are probably the most appropriate for a Civic though.

2. It is quite noticable to me that when I am driving on the highway, the car is not very stable. Is it because of the light-weight of the car, or any problems on the suspensions?
How fast are you going? Any model of Civic should be pretty stable on a dry highway at up to 100KPH/65MPH. If not, I'd take it in for warranty repairs. Just keep in mind, it's not going to pull 1g on a lateral skidpad when it's stock.

3. What kinds of detailers that you guys can recommend to me? (e.g., make it glossy, protect against pollutants)
Wash it and wax it occasionally. Don't wipe anything across dry panels unless it has running water on it. Dirt and dust can be pretty abrasive.

4. Snowing is a big problem in my city, I am wondering is there any product that can repel snow/ice from the body?
Wax. Non-stick spray can help too, but test it for paint compatibility in a hidden area first. I just try to wash the car on warm days between snowstorms though. The best product after a carwash is probably a secure garage.