Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Honda Civic Rear Ended Twice in One Week - Need Advice Please! New to Civic/Site

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Default 2009 Honda Civic Rear Ended Twice in One Week - Need Advice Please! New to Civic/Site

Hello -

I wasn't sure where to post this, but am hoping someone can give advice. I used to own an Accord and Element but now have an 09 Civic, which I am liking.

I was rear-ended last week (waiting to turn into traffic, not moving) and had more than $3000 in damage. They bumper, energy absorbers, one side panel, tail light, alignment etc. were fixed and then of course the paint job. They guys did a great job and I got it back today. I would guess the hit to be at least about 10mph. They said there was quite a bit of damage and the side panel was kinda bent in because it was hit at an angle (guy was turning too).

Tonight, driving home I was rear-ended AGAIN. Can you believe it (I am so upset)? The guy apologized and said he just looked down for a minute. I was simply the 'last person' in traffic waiting for a line of cars to move on a busy street - I was at a stop. This was 5 hours after I picked up my car. I see a 'scruff' on my bumper. Nothing horrible. But I did feel the impact... and I'm very shaken up and can't think clearly. I have the other parties insurance information.

Nothing is cracked or broken visibly (except the scruff). I'm most concerned with safety damage then a scruff - are the energy absorbers possibly hurt again? Could there be other safety concerns?

If you could please share some advice. I don't know if I should report this, go to a shop Monday and have them look at it (but wouldn't they have to take the bumper off?), etc. I need to decide what to do before I call back the #2 person who ran into me.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Should have gotten a police report to cover both of you. This dude can easily go fix up his own car and say it never happened if he's shady like that.

Go back to the shop and have them check the car over again. Get yourself an estimate.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Thank you - I'm waiting on an estimate. The shop at first glance thinks the bumper looks 'pushed in' (not very noticeable, but enough they have to take it apart and check for damage).

My poor Civic. I've never had a car rear ended before, and now twice on my new car!

The only reason I didn't file a police report is they won't take one here unless there's an injury. Found that out last time!