Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear ended someone yesterday, still runs, but need some help. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Default Rear ended someone yesterday, still runs, but need some help. Pics inside.

First things first, I'm not mechanical. I AM broke however, and this is really stressing me out. The car still SEEMS to run perfectly fine. It is not putting off any smoke or odors and only makes a very faint scratching noise when I take left turns. It does not seem to be of concern.

I guess my biggest thing now is a head light and a blinker. I suppose I can figure out my right hand signal and only drive in the day, but that's only a band aid.

I'm going to go get a quote done later today, but thought I would post up in a few forums for advise first. All suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. I have found an eBay seller that sells primed hoods and fenders, do you think it would be cheaper if I bought the parts myself? Also, if I don't get them painted before I get them installed would i have to have them removed again down the line to be painted? If you happen to know someone who does good work in the SF Bay area, please let me know. Also, to me it looks like the bumper is totally fine, it was an SUV i hit after all. At this point I could care less about astetics.

Maybe it's time to start learning how to do things myself.... However seeing as how part of the frame is bent I do not know if I could manage that

Name:  IMAGE_018.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  IMAGE_019.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  IMAGE_020.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  IMAGE_021.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  IMAGE_022.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  IMAGE_023.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  99.5 KB

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Rear ended someone yesterday, still runs, but need some help. Pics inside.

That's not a bent frame. Just straighten everything out best you can and replace the lights and you're road legal. My '95 was almost exactly like that (though on the left side). Though I did get a check from the other guy's insurance I spent it on other things instead.

The noise is probably the front of the right tire rubbing the fender liner when you turn left. The plastic fender liner comes out and then you can hammer on the metal from inside the wheel well.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Rear ended someone yesterday, still runs, but need some help. Pics inside.

So good to hear! I'm going to be calling some friends today and hopefully someone can help me out.. otherwise it shouldn't cost me more than $500 or so at a shop?

Also - am I going to have to get the parts painted BEFORE they are put on? I was advised in another forum I can get a cheapie paint job for $200 or so, the entire car.... Astetics, at this point, really don't mean too much to me I just want to get everything fixed.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM

So I'm going to call up my buddy today and tell him what needs to be done, please add anything you think I should...

1. Pull out core support to straighten the frame
2. Since I really don't care about aestetics TOO much right now, I can just bang out the fender so that it fits
3. Buy a new hood.
4. The hood is NOT latching... so I'm not sure what other problems I'm going to encounter...

Also - would i be better off purchasing these parts online through an eBay seller or can you usually find cheap parts at shops?

Thanks again

Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the hood will straighten enough so it will latch. Prop up the front edge and press down where it is creased up. Once it is close then you can adjust the latch if needed. Since you don't care about aesthetics I don't think you need to buy anything except the lights. I would avoid ebay knockoffs as they may not have the performance of Honda ones. More light helps you avoid hitting things at night.

Having a car like that makes people stay out of your way. It's saying "Don't you do it, because I will hit you."

Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM

So far this seems very managable... I'm calling around now to pick up a headlight assembly. Does the blinker go into the same assembly?

Thanks for the humor mk, I need it Although I am QUITE relieved now as I was told it was going to cost me upwards of 2,000 to get everything fixed. Clearly he did NOT know what he was talking about, he claimed he did though.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

yeah, i agree with what's been said. there is no bent frame from your pictures. i'd just hammer things out and straighten them out. I wouldn't buy anything but the lights. regarding your quote you received of $2000. he's probably refering to buying a new hood, new lights, straightening things out and repainting. it makes sense if that's the case, but since you care what it looks like as long as it's functional and that you are broke, you are on the right path. have someone help you hammer and straighten things out and put in the lights. you'll be good to go.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Sounds good!

Thanks everyone!

I'll reply once I have everything taken care of. In the near future when I get a decent comission check then I will spend the money to get everything taken care of

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
HCF Member

replacement parts arent that expensive , i bought a new front bumper for $45