General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Steering Wheel Horn Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Default Steering Wheel Horn Buttons

I recently parted from a 96 Accord and bought a 08 Civic. The Accord was a decent car, but it can't compete with a modern Civic. However, the one thing I desperately miss from the Accord are those horn buttons located near the rim of the steering wheel. I loved not having to take my hands off the wheel when using the horn.

Unfortunately, it seems like all new cars, not just Hondas, opt for those god-awful pressure sensitive horn pads right in the center of the steering wheel. I can't imagine why anyone would want those. When someone's about to cut you off and cause an accident, the last thing you should do is take a hand off the wheel, even to use your horn.

I'd like to add these buttons to my Civic. However, short of retrofitting it with a 92-95 Civic's steering wheel, there don't appear to be any options. Does anyone know if this is possible? The only OEM steering wheels I could find are those lame "racing" steering wheels, which don't even have a horn or airbag.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Default RE: Steering Wheel Horn Buttons

You can get brackets that go on the steering wheeel column which have an arm with a horn button at the end. they are right by your finger. Just had a look on eBay and can't find any, but I know they exists. They are built for people who have sports steering wheels, but want a horn.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: alecrust

You can get brackets that go on the steering wheeel column which have an arm with a horn button at the end. they are right by your finger. Just had a look on eBay and can't find any, but I know they exists. They are built for people who have sports steering wheels, but want a horn.
Thanks, but could you please be more specific? I'm not getting anything Googling for "steering wheel horn bracket". Is this something no one makes anymore, so I'd be lucky to even find it on Ebay?

Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

I much prefer the pressure sensitive area in the middle because the buttons on the side didn't help me when some asshat crashed into me because I was turning the wheel and couldn't find the damn buttons...I don't like the 2 button arrangement because there are certain driving situations that would make pressing and finding the buttons very hard or impossible.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 99lx

I much prefer the pressure sensitive area in the middle because the buttons on the side didn't help me when some asshat crashed into me because I was turning the wheel and couldn't find the damn buttons...I don't like the 2 button arrangement because there are certain driving situations that would make pressing and finding the buttons very hard or impossible.
I don't understand your complaint. If your hands are on the wheel, then the buttons should be directly under your thumb. You may have a point when turning, since your hands will be moving around the wheel. However, if you're pushing the horn pad when the airbag goes off, the force of the explosion will likely break your wrist.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 AM

I know sometimes with very fast turning I can hit the one of the horn buttons on my 98 Civic.

About the extension arm, I finally found it. It's called an External Horn Button Kit and you can buy one HERE

You can get single or double ones. Here is a double:

Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Thanks. Although it looks like it won't fit on the stock wheel, that's the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

you guys makes me laugh. seriously, is this that big of a deal? i mean understand what you mean, i had to use the horn the other day, and its in the center of the steering, but come on its not that hard. Its just a matter of reflex.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

you guys makes me laugh. seriously, is this that big of a deal? i mean understand what you mean, i had to use the horn the other day, and its in the center of the steering, but come on its not that hard. Its just a matter of reflex.
It's important for me. Back when I had my Accord, I prevented several accidents on the highway when some moron would start to change lanes without a turn signal or even checking their blind spot. When someone's about to run into you, there's a huge difference between pressing your thumb down, and taking your hand off the wheel and *then* pressing your thumb down.

I really don't see why there's such opposition to this basic idea. It seems pretty intuitive. Granted, someone at Honda apparently doesn't think it's a big deal either.