General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Suspension Setup questions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Default Suspension Setup questions??

Well i was sat outside earlier, and i know many people now lower their cars, some for performance and some for looks and some for both... well what i was thinking was what would it do to the handling of the car if you either lowered the front or the back, as the weight it our civics is mostly at the front, (unless you got some gorillas sat in the back ) so if you lowered just the back would this put more traction at the back????
Well wot really got me thinking about this is that when i got my car it was only lowered at the front. which i thought was a little strange, and i kinda like the look of the car, i dont think its stock at the back though, though springs look stock... but i lost a little pressure in one of my rear tyres, and without trying/wanting i ended up doing some mega "drifting" granted i do need to change my rear tyres, but they are still legal so im not going to do it just yet.

I just wanted to know if it made any difference on the handling of the car, I would of thought it would but I wasn't sure...

Thanks for your input

Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Suspension Setup questions??

The main thing that lowering the car does is lowers the center of gravity. It also usually means that you have less clearance and less suspension travel. Better handling is achieved by lowering the car most of the time because aftermarket spring-rates are also usually firmer and aftermarket shocks usually control things better. It's possible that downforce may also be increased in some cases by lowering, but this is usually in conjunction with air-directing bodywork at super-high speeds. For a daily-driver, I would suggest adjustable coil-overs, so the car can be easily raised back up for rutted streets, snow, driveways, etc.

It sounds like you would gain a lot more traction by just getting some decent UHP tires and inflating them properly for the loads you subject them to.

Aside from better springs, shocks, and tires, you can also drastically improve your car's handling by installing adjustable anti-swaybars and strut braces all around. Also check to make sure your steering and suspension linkages and bushings are all in good shape and properly torqued, with no binding.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM

theres more to better handling than just droping the car. springs rates, shock dampening, sway bars, bushings, tires, etc.. allhave to be taken into consideration.my guess would be ur car only oversteered because of ur worn rear tires. the way i have my car setup, i can get the back end to swing out quite easily due to a stiff rear suspension setup.

to answer ur question, yes it'll probably handle differently if u lowered just the rear. better? probably not. the best thing to do is buy all 4 springs from the same company and buy all new shocks. u'll gain better handling, smoother ride, and it'll probably end up looking better.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM

i agree with you civicexracer, though i was wondering if and the advantages/disadvantages of it were, as how it would affect the handling... ie having front lowered and rear not means...... and blah blah would happen... but i think my questions near enough answered

thanks guys