General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Swapping steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Swapping steering wheel?

Hello all,

I'm brand spankin' new here, andneed some help with my car. I recently purchsed a new 07 silver EX Civic sedan in January. I really love the car, it feels great to once again own a vehicle that I can depend on. Now my boyfriend doesnt have to stay glued to his cel phone for fear that my 99 Cougar has left mestalled on the road somewhere...

Anyways, I am here to ask a rather odd question.. In the 07 model of the Civic, it has a two-spoke style steering wheel. Since I bought the EX, it also has the in-wheel vol and cruise controls. I know the 05 Civic model has a 4 spoke style steering wheel (similar to my old car), that also has the built-in controls for the vol, cruise, etc. Would it be possible to swap my 07 steering wheel for the 05 steering wheel? I have no idea how complex the actual wheel is, what the engineering of the column is like, so..bleh, I am at a loss.

The reason I'm asking about this is I have a disorder which causes me great pain in my muscles, 24/7/365. I had my EX steering modified to be zero resistance, as I can't drive without it. But, the two spoke steering wheel is uncomfortable for me as well. I could drive my old Cougar with pretty much no effort thanks to the zeroE steering, and the 4 spoke design (you just stick your hand between the spokes, dont even have to really hold onto anything). The two things that make my pain rage like amofo is typing, and driving. I had to sell my first car, my dream car, because of this ailment. It sucks. But, I deal with it the best way I can. ^_^

Any help on this would be absolutely a godsend. I feel really dumb asking about it, but it truly is a big issue for me.It meansbeing able todrive for more than20 minsat a time without hurting. I look forward to being a part of the forum, and thank you!

-Shawnna B