General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Default Turbo question

I have an automatic 03 civic ex coupe. I'm planning to buy a turbo kit. Does anyone knows if you still get the phsssss soud of a turbo on a automatic engine.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo question

Yes you do. That noise comes from the blow off valve, which engauges whenever you let off the throttle. Youre going to have a lot of work ahead of you boosting a D17, and being that its automatic, I wouldnt waste my time or money. Youre engine CAN make decent power once boosted, but the tranny wont hold up for anything. From youre knowledge I asssume its safe to say you wont be doing the install yourself.....so you will be spending a pretty penny on the kit and labor.........Youre probably better off leaving it stock or paying to have a K series engine swapped in. The D17 is the red-headed step child of all honda D series engines.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 PM

You're right! I'm not going to do the installation myself since I don't know. I know few things about honda which is why I register here . what I wnat to do too is swap the engine to a k20 and have the cluch install, and then get a turbo kits.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

If youre serious about the K20 you wont be sorry. That motor makes PLENTY of power with just bolt on performance parts. Boost will make crazy power, but going from aD17 to a K20 is going to feel like double the engine, even more if youre going from automatic to 5 speed. If you get a k20 DO NOT get an automatic swapped in, its a waste of money. GET THE 6 speed.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm going to do the swap but it will be a few months from now. Any suggestionsim where to find a decent price for a decent k20.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

There are so many places. Google it, and search for a good price.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 AM

^ than again k20 is goin to cost u a lot and if ur buying online shipping is goin to be a bit*h too unlesss the company tht ur buying form have free shiping. i would 1st try to look in my local yelow pages to see if u can find a place in ur area thts them.. i live in miami florida and there a whole bunch of places tht sell engines expecially the b16 and k20( 75% of the engine are stolen or something illegal lol) a friend of mine bought an ls engine for $250 the other day and i almost had a heart atttack than he told me tht his cousin own an shop in miami and i told him dont say anything else since i knew it was illegal or stolen or something.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: s2000gtx

^ than again k20 is goin to cost u a lot and if ur buying online shipping is goin to be a bit*h too unlesss the company tht ur buying form have free shiping. i would 1st try to look in my local yelow pages to see if u can find a place in ur area thts them.. i live in miami florida and there a whole bunch of places tht sell engines expecially the b16 and k20( 75% of the engine are stolen or something illegal lol) a friend of mine bought an ls engine for $250 the other day and i almost had a heart atttack than he told me tht his cousin own an shop in miami and i told him dont say anything else since i knew it was illegal or stolen or something.
You could end up getting in major legal trouble for that. I've heard of people bieng pulled over and having the VINs on the engine checked. When they don't match up and you don't have any paperwork for the engine swap, your in trouble.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

It was in the news a couple of times. I think they will crush your car if they find out its stolen.