General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Turning an Auto into a Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:06 AM
HCF Member
Default Turning an Auto into a Manual

Okay i have a 2002 ex coupe, and i've been hearing how fun and great it is to drive a manual, and considering that i don't know how, i want to learn, and i guess the best way to learn is to have a manual myself. So i was wondering 1) is it possible to turn an auto into a manual and 2) if it is how much would something like this cost me? I'm guessing it would be expensive as hell, and some might mention trading it in but i put some work in this car and i love this baby and really can't see myself replacing it, even though it would be the same car and color and sheit, just really can't depart from it, grown attached. But anyways i would appreciate it if you would help me out.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turning an Auto into a Manual

the answer is "yes" and "very expensive" if you buy all new components for your car.

you'll have to find a manual transmission for your year model. you may luck up and find a wrecked civic in your area, though.

this is a difficult project to do, which may require cutting sheet metal on the underside of your car. I wouldn't recommend you doing it by yourself unless you have mechanically inclined friends or relatives.

you'll also need a new ecu chip from a manual civic and guage faces to complete the swap.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

^ he has an EX now so i don't think he needs new gauge faces. but like he said unles you find the parts from a wrecked car, it is going to be $$$... i was going to do a minime and a manual swap, then did some research and found for an extra $500 i can just get a B16(with Manual tranny, ecu, wiring harness) and swap that... sooo... yeah, i think you figured it out... now i need the $$$

Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 AM

best thing is to do is to trade it in and won't have any problems. incase you forgot to put something in the tranny or something. you can still get a 02 coupe in manual. and everything. and it would be cheaper