General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

weird buzzing noise??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
HCF Member
Default weird buzzing noise??

anybody ever get an intermittent buzzing sound? kinda sounds like morse code for like 5 seconds or so...
any ideas what this is?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: weird buzzing noise??

From where? Car or speakers?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Its a very vague description. Maybe the aliens are trying to contact you?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Do you have a GSM cell phone with you that typically starts to ring right after you hear this noise through the speakers?

Otherwise: Stereo on/off? A/C on/off? Possibly coming from interior, backseat, undercar, engine-bay?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

I believe I am being contacted by aliens, at least thats what they tell me 1o1,

It souds like its coming from the speakers...I had the sound with the factory stereo and speakers and hoped it would go away when i put in aftermarket ones...but no dice.

Cell phone interfernece maybe?? I am on the phone an awful lot in the car....I have a the razor, I dont know what GSM is....
I 'll pay more attention next time I hear it...
thanks!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 PM

I think I know what you are talking about, it is probably interference from your cell phone. GSM is the most likely transmission type of the phone you have, the electromagnetic signals are strongest when you first receive or place a call, and that is probably what you are hearing.

(Specifically the signal strength is strongest for a few seconds before your phone rings when you receive a call, and between the time you press send and it starts ringing when dialing a call, thanks mythbusters!)

That soundis actually pretty hard to get rid of from my experience, sometimes a bad connection on one of your speakers or a bad/loose ground somewhere in the deck harness can make it a lot worse (louder). I've heard that shielding your speaker wires or using an external antenna on your phone can help, but it is usually a pretty fidgety problem that is hard to diagnose/fix with certianty. Mostly because it is probably an issue with your phone rather than your car or car stereo (and it's not like there is really anything wrong with your phone either,it canjust be natural interference).

I had that problem bad in my old 4runner with my old phone, I got a new phone and a newcar and haven't had that problem since, even tho I installed most of the same stereo equipment in my civic. I actually think that my new phone is what fixed it, I used to hear that same noise through my computer speakers with my old phone, but since I got my MDA I haven't heard it at all...

But I'm not a cell phone expert so I don't know if I got all the details right. If anyone knows about this and can explain it in certian terms I'd love to know for sure! (I know I read that there is at least one telecom guru on the forum)

Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

What he said but its normal happens to me right before I recieve calls.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Mostly because it is probably an issue with your phone rather than your car or car stereo (and it's not like there is really anything wrong with your phone either,it canjust be natural interference).
That's what I meant.