General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Well my luck finally ran out...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
HCF Member
Default Well my luck finally ran out...

Every 2-3 weeks I check my fluids, everything was good. Come home from work yesterday and hear this knocking noise that gets louder as the RPM's go up. Don't really hear it at idle and since my music is on most of the time I can't really hear it while driving.

The knocking noise wasn't the first thing I noticed, but I could feel it in my gas pedal, it was a little twitchy when you first pressed on it.

After getting home I let the engine cool down, checked the oil and was only 1/4 up from the bottom of the dipstick to the first dot. Put some more oil in it, let it warm up on idle before driving, noise still there. BTW my oil light has never come on.

No noticeable oil leaks anywhere, although the last time I had this problem the valve cover was leaking, that was a quick fix.

So on the way to the shop I hear this scraping noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. I tried to push back the disc rotor shield and the noise is still there. A couple weeks ago I had a creaking noise in the same area whenever I turned the wheel, but it went away.

Rod knock, the drivers wheel area needs to be checked out still.....

But here's the good part to my little story, I decided to get the engine rebuilt with forged internals and a turbo to go along. I always kept saying I'll get this done one day, but I've been saying that for 2+ years now.

My priorities have been screwed up, but I've managed to pay some annoying bills which is the reason why I have funds for this repair/rebuild. Going to suck again to not have much extra to spend, but I think I've completed my car with everything I wanted to do.

And I know it's cheaper to do this stuff yourself, I don't have all the tools or knowledge to do so(Everything else on my car up to this point I did myself), but I can save a little by buying some of the parts going into it.

Sorry to make you all read this wall of text, but I don't feel so bad anymore about my car giving up when it'll be better than before

Can't wait to show new pictures when I get it back!

Numbers should be around 300-325WHP.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

Got to love that knocking noise, been there myself.

Hope everything works out.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Sucks about the knocking, but now the fun begins!