General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Default what should i do?

im thinking of taking off my side moldings but i dont know how difficult this would be. i dont want to start to attempt this if it isnt just glued on....

[IMG]local://upfiles/30700/A68B1261CF2E4FADA40B3155A429D67A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: what should i do?

Those moldings are on the car with a 2 sided tape, the best way is to park the car in the sun, and let them warm up good, then starting at one end try pulling off the molding, the best way is to get the adhesive to come off with the molding, but sometimes the molding will leave the tape strips.

These can be loosened useing enamal reducer, this will start to disolve the glue, no doubt there is alot of work involved, don't use anything else but enamal reducer, or mineral spirits, which dosn't work as good, but with alot of time and energy it can be done.

Just don't scrape the glue it will scratch the car. alot of times the moldings come off pretty good and theres not alot of work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: what should i do?

^^^you don't know what your talking about...

They have clips, if you could care less about the clips pull and they will come off.

if not check this thread out..

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2281670

To take the clips off, you really need a panel puller tool. You can also use 2 screw drivers. Get a shop towel to prevent you from damaging the paint, and pull the molding out, starting at the rear (because itll be loose from taking the nut off) and locate the first clip. Using the shop towel to protect the paint, slide the screw driver down until it hits the top of the clip. The slide the second screw driver up from the bottom until it hits the bottom of the clip. Then pull the molding out again, holding the lower screw driver with your knee or something, and pushing down on the top one until you feel the little clip pop out. Then do the same thing for the bottom one, but dont let the molding go back tight to the body before you get the bottom clip out or you have to start over.Its way easier with a long thin panel puller tool since you can snag both ends of the clip at the same time and just pull it out. You can also just rip the panel off and break the clips, but i wouldnt recommend it, theyre expensive as [freak]. I just bought 8 from honda and it cost 22 bucks. Its about the same online, i think theyre are 1.50 a clip from hondapartsdeal.com.And you cant get to them from inside the door, unless you cut a hole and took out your impact bar.