HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

1989 civic dx hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by thatguywithahonda
coming along with my build and forgot a few parts that i may need. first off i have a manual transmission so i need to know if i need matching clutch and flywheel or different ones that match engine and transmission. Then what kind of slave cylinder things do i need. now what parts i need just need to know if it has to match like the engine or transmisison
The flywheel bolts to the motor
The clutch disk has to fit the input shaft
The pressure plate has to fit the flywheel
You need a slave cylinder otherwise you can't push the pressure plate

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 AM
HCF Member

i understand those but is it part specific like for the transmission does the clutch have to be for that specific year of the transmission. Does the fly wheel for example which mounts to the engine have to be for a 1998 crv. Thanks for adding on but thats what I needed to know not to sound snobby or like an ***.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

Coming along with the Swap. People I know tell me to get a 7.7lbs flywheel along with a clutch. anyone have good set up on a stock engine for fast gear changing and what clutch kit/flywheel and if a brand matters.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 AM
HCF Member

Too light of a flywheel will make your revs drop quickly between shifts. Drivability suffers at the expense of a few more HP. It'll be quick revving though.

Brand definitely matters. Cheap parts tend to be of lower quality, in most cases. Competition Clutch is a good manufacturer. If you're not putting more torque down compared to stock specs, a stage 1, 2, 3+ clutch is useless. It isn't going to give you more power. Exedy is the OEM manufacturer of Honda clutches.

I hope you understand now that pretty much all B series clutch parts are interchangeable, with exception of early cable B series clutch disks...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

in theory buying a 8.8lbs flywheel will be used for more horsepower if you are able to clutch and shift efficiently. Then just mate it with an oem spec exedy clutch kit and then put them together with engine and transmission?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

in theory buying a 8.8lbs flywheel will be used for more horsepower if you are able to clutch and shift efficiently. Then just mate it with an oem spec exedy clutch kit and then put them together with engine and transmission?
That's what I would do, mate the lightweight one with an oem spec exedy. I mean, if you want to try a staged clutch, go for it, it won't be bad. You don't have to do an OEM replacement, you just won't take advantage of the clamping power of a staged clutch with your build... unless you've got boost on the way.

Lightweight flywheel will just make more power available to the wheels. It won't increase crank horsepower.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 AM
HCF Member

Awesome thanks for the 2 cents. When removing fuel lines and ac lines, what is the best route as well as removing stuff from the firewall and labeling them. First swap thats why im asking stupid questions.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

Awesome thanks for the 2 cents. When removing fuel lines and ac lines, what is the best route as well as removing stuff from the firewall and labeling them. First swap thats why im asking stupid questions.
Call around to find a place to discharge the AC, or just crack the line and run while it depressurizes... but it is illegal, so just know the circumstances.

Fuel lines, open your gas cap and crack the line on the fuel rail to depressurize it.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

Got the fuel line pressure released. Waiting until i figure out what i have to reuse before taking stuff out.

Working on figuring out what is located at the fire-wall which i have to label.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Got the fuel line pressure released. Waiting until i figure out what i have to reuse before taking stuff out.

Working on figuring out what is located at the fire-wall which i have to label.
that's like 10 minutes of work. c'mon dude start doing work. :P

Quick Reply: 1989 civic dx hatch build