HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

1989 civic dx hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

got a $500 1989 honda dx hatch with 176,XXXmiles looking to put a swap in relitivaly cheap. Looking to get somewhere from 300-500hp with a turbo on a sohc or maybe all motor

thinking of turboing a d16y8 but i am currently interested in the d16y7 with a d16y8 head whats the difference

Car:1989 Honda Civic dx Hatchback

Engine:

-D16Y8
or
-D16y7 block with a D16y8 head

Parts:
Upgraded pistons rods
Head work
T3 or T4 turbo looking to run 15-18psi
Crankshaft upgrades
and maybe more

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 04-11-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

those blocks are the same. go with a d16a6 block if you really want a stronger d series block.
y8/y7 are known for bad oil pumps and rod 3 bearing. you will need to convert to multi point injection and convert to at least obd1.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

im planning on breaking down the engine and rebuild the inside of the internals for a turbo build. i want a sohc vtech cheap which is a d16y8 for 750 with the engine and ecu for only $750. the engine has less the 75,000 miles. i just need to know what internals i need to upgrade. I plan on buying a garrett T3 super 60 turbo.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

which internals you want to upgrade are up to you. depends on cost vs. reliability.

i'd go at least rods and pistons, arp rod bolts and head studs, d16y8 head gasket, titanium valve springs + retainers

if you're getting the d15b which is the sohc turbo JDM motor, then maybe consider finding a used d16y8 or z6 instead and rebuilding it. probably cheaper in the long run. i got my y8 for $200.
d15b = 127hp
d16y8/z6 = 127hp
all can run off the p28 ecu.
z6 vs y8: y8 has better low end torque, z6 has better high end?

you're lucky i love EFs.

with your DX, the transmission sucks. get an Si transmission. shorter gears = greater acceleration

you'll need to do the dpfi-mpfi conversion as well as at least convert to obd1.
it can get confusing and difficult to trouble-shoot if done at the same time. i mounted my y8 manifold to my d15 and got a d16a6 distributor + ecu to get it to run first as obd0 mpfi, then swapped in the y8, and converted to obd1. the only plugs you neeeeeed from the engine harness are injector plugs, distributor plugs, thermostat temp sensor plug, vtec solenoid, vtec oil pressure. everything else is the same. obd1 is easier to work with, no knock sensor, vs obd2. one less thing to deal with. y8 knock sensor is just not used if you use a p28.

also b-series throttle bodies fit on d series. make sure to port-match!

internals:
pistons, rods, hardware (head studs, rod bolts), y8 head gasket, valve springs, retainers. minimal.
sleeves will give you peace of mind.
but if you're gonna go through this trouble...... there are plenty of options out there for the same power. i'm sure for this much, you could maybe swap in an accord f23 + transmission and put an h22 head on it and boost it. iron forged sleeves to begin with. hah

my two cents!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
HCF Member
Default planning a mini me build

i want to get a d16a6 with a y8 head gasket with the vtech valves then i want to put a cold air intake adjust pistons to 9:1 with a jdm sir d16a transmission buy a type r exhaust cat then drop it with tien coilovers then repainting and maybe more in the future comment later and i will be on a little less trying to fix up my traxxas brushless bandit vxl for my school car show

Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 AM
HCF Member

if anyone gets on in the later times of the day if they know prices psot them

d16a6 engine-?
d16y8 v tech head-?
compatible civic si tranny manual-?
Sir crx exhaust cat-?
cold air intake for engine-?
sir crz front bumper-?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

looking for a fun daily driver that has a little get up and go. I mostly like street x but yeah people always yell about its illegal idc

Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM

It won't work very well with v-tech anything. Those are phones, not engines. Now if you put a VTEC head on it, that'll be nice.

500 HP on a single cam is gonna be expensive. Even 300 is expensive. And you would have to do some suspension and brake mods to make it a little more stable and safe with that kind of power.

What is this car going to be used for? Track? Auto-x? Street?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

looking for a fun daily driver that has a little get up and go. I mostly like street x but yeah people always yell about its illegal idc lloking close to 300hp or 350hp with the turbo build but right now i want to start slow and just get the basic start. Then save money

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM
HCF Member

okay i am updraging my thread so if people are interested in reposting about information they would seem relevent on the thread.

Engine Type and Modifications

-D16a6 with a d16y8 VTECH head
-Cold Air Intake Manifold
-Possible Piston Changes
-Crankshaft Upgrades
-VTECh Timing Adjustments
-Turbo Upgrade and Build in the Future

Transmission and Suspension

-Sir Crx Transmission
-Sir 4WD del sol transmission(maybe)
-Civic Wagovan Differential upgrade
-Civic Wagovan Driveshaft