HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

1989 civic dx hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 AM
HCF Member

im trying to put something into the car for decent power and a good sound want to push more then 185hp and sound good without an exhaust

Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Not sure what you are saying. You want a big motor, with the stock 1 7/8" exhaust piping and you want sound? I feel like you want the noise of the car coming from the engine bay rather than the muffler, right?

Swap to a H22, then punch holes in your muffler if I am wrong. Otherwise, build up a motor, and use an Apexi WS2, or similar exhaust. When I step on the pedal in my car, the motor roars, and you cannot hear the exhaust at all. I will make up a video this weekend maybe

You need a better flowing exhaust, especially if you want a bigger motor, putting out more power.

185whp should not be hard to hit without boost on a B series. H series pretty much will give you 180whp right from the start; same with K series.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

If you install a Short Ram Intake, you'll hear VTEC crossover much louder than stock.
Sounds throaty when you get on the gas, too. Neat.
There's these turbo whistles for your exhaust. You can probably find them on Ebay.
They make you spool up way louder, regardless of your set-up.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM
HCF Member

i am looking at getting a b18c gsr and the mouts killer vtech cams and a itb set up with maybe 9:1 piston ratio. Then just complete my build with a fancy engine bay(shiny) and custom exhaust down pipping. What transmission. My friend is pretty much selling me on the b18c

Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Wait... what? Stock compression is ~10.0:1 on the GSR motor. If anything, you need more compression to make power with those huge cams and ITBs, not less compression.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

down piping? a down pipe is something you have when your car is turbo'ed.

and like cvcrcr said, you'll want higher compression than that if you're going all motor (which I assume you are since you mentioned ITBS...)

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 AM
HCF Member

the exhaust down pipes. Yes i am runing 13.5:1 and i need to get the engine machined

Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

you do know that vtec killer cams actually disable vtec, right? you'll lose alot of low-end but you'll gain some in the high end. its good for track racing where you're constantly in high RPM's anyways... but I would say it wouldn't be so good for a daily driver. Low-end is what makes a DD fun!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by thatguywithahonda
i am looking at getting a b18c gsr and the mouts killer vtech cams and a itb set up with maybe 9:1 piston ratio. Then just complete my build with a fancy engine bay(shiny) and custom exhaust down pipping. What transmission. My friend is pretty much selling me on the b18c
Originally Posted by thatguywithahonda
the exhaust down pipes. Yes i am runing 13.5:1 and i need to get the engine machined
So we change the CR number again? You first said something like a 800whp/800wtq turbo B series or w/e, then scaled it back to like 250 or something after a lot of talking to. Now you are going all motor, first with 12.5:1, then 9:1, now 13.5:1. I am so lost.

I would love to see pictures of this happening. I should just stop posting here since it is making my brain hurt.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
. I should just stop posting here since it is making my brain hurt.
yeah, I feel the same way. It makes me sad that this thread is getting more attention than all the good ones. (not mine, mine sucks...no progress)

OP, is any of this actually gonna happen? Do you own a camera? Take some pictures of the car you're working with. Do you have a stable income? A built GSR like you're talking about is gonna cost a pretty penny. We haven't even seen the car this dream build of yours is gonna go into... Most of the ef hatches I see are total ****-boxes.

Quick Reply: 1989 civic dx hatch build