HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

'95 Civic EX Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Default '95 Civic EX Restoration

Hello, I am new to the civic forums and a novice when it comes to working on car engines. However, I like to think I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to car audio.

I have owned my 1995 Honda Civic EX for a little over a year now. Prior to me owning the car, my brother owned it for ~12 years. The only mods to the car include 17" ADR rims, ~200 sq ft of deadener, HID projector headlights, taillights, alarm/remote starter, single wiper blade, LED washer fluid housings, aftermarket instrument cluster, and some racing seats.

Here's a picture of the car:
'95 Civic EX Restoration-driver-angle.jpg

I have had no problems with the car since owning it...... Well, assuming we are only talking about the engine. If we want to bring in the interior, well then.... My car is ghetto. Put a driver's seat in and that is the interior of the car for the past 13 years.
'95 Civic EX Restoration-bare-look-through.jpg

My brother had gutted the car to install sound deadening and his sound system. While it was out he got the idea of making it a custom interior, but as you can see his enthusiasm and motivation quickly lost momentum.

I have finally made room in the budget to allow myself to finish his project. I won't be rebuilding the engine or installing a turbo, but I will be doing work on the engine, the exterior, the stereo, and obviously the interior.

So far the to-do list includes: custom fit a HO battery, install a HO alternator, replace the stock intake with a AEM SRI, do a tune up on the ignition, put on an all new exhaust system, install some ID Ultra MH horns, get some new x65 woofers, rewire the speakers, fix the remote start/alarm system, cut/fit new carpet, paint and install all the missing interior, reupholster some panels, make a false floor, and potentially do some body work and lowering springs (I'm not sure if my 17's will hit the fenders once the car is lowered, what do you guys think?).

Most of the pieces for this project will be arriving this week, and I believe I have a good idea on how I am wanting to approach all of the work. But I'm sure I will come to you guys for some advice on how to go about various things.

I will try to post daily as I make progress, and hopefully have plenty of pictures to show you. I will take more of the car's current state in the morning and upload them before I begin working!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM

I don't have the pictures on my computer yet, but I installed a new exhaust system today, started the ignition tune-up, and hope to receive my battery tomorrow to work on mounting it securely.

The exhaust brought about problem after problem, but I finally got it together. The last thing on that is trying to move my o2 sensor from my stock manifold to my new downpipe. I cannot get the sensor loose (tried over 120 ft lbs), so tomorrow I am going to see if I can grab a breaker bar to get more leverage. Hopefully I won't have to purchase a new one, I found out they run $70-80 in town.

I will try to get some pictures up soon, and hopefully I will start making better progress now that I have the exhaust out of the way.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Decil
I'm not sure if my 17's will hit the fenders once the car is lowered, what do you guys think?
It depends on the wheel width, tire size, and wheel offset. Do you know what those sizes are?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM

I can't remember for sure, but I think the tires are 205 x 45..... Just a guess, I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

I have no idea on the wheel offset. I don't know how to find it either...

As for progress, it's slowly coming along. I have been really bad at updating this, and getting pictures up. But I have been taking pictures so they will be up. The latest tasks I've been working on were upholstering my door inserts and working on installing a new steering wheel.

The steering wheel will arrive tomorrow, but I will have to move my previously wheel mounted cruise controls down to the dash. So I am looking at how the wiring is ran and will see if I can't run them to two push button switches.

Here is a crappy phone picture I took of my upholstering job on the inserts. It was actually pretty easy with a little patience and a heat gun.

'95 Civic EX Restoration-img_0919%5B1%5D.jpg

'95 Civic EX Restoration-img_0920%5B1%5D.jpg