HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 AM
HCF Member
Default Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project

Hello all! Figured I'd go ahead and get a project post started, since I just started ordering parts.

I picked up this 97 Civic DX sedan about a month ago when my 98 Camaro decided it was finally time to let go. She's got ~195k miles, 5speed, and a surprising amount of attitude!

So far, the car is still basically bone stock. I gave practically a song for it; purchased from a friend's girlfriend, who had bought a new car and was letting the civic sit, because "the clutch was toasted." Showed up to buy it, spent 15 minutes bleeding the clutch, and was able to drive home!

That said, I've got a lot planned, even though I don't think I'll be going as far as I've seen some members here do.

So far I've ordered the following parts:

MR-SB-HC8800FU -- Megan Racing Front-Upper Strut-Tower bar ($70)
MR-SB-HC88RU -- Megan Racing Rear-Upper Strut-Tower bar ($70)
MR-CO-HC8800 -- Megan Racing coilover kit ($170)
Ebay aluminum short-throw-shifter ($15)

I'll be picking up OEM-quality replacement shocks today or tomorrow after work, hopefully getting all of these installed on my coming "weekend." (I work weekend-wrap-arounds, so I'm off wed/thurs, lets me get TONS done! )

On the to-do list:

Body panel replacements (rear-passenger door, both front fenders, both front and rear bumpers, and trunk lid. Car has not been loved much, see pics below)
Headlight de-fogging DIY
Adjustable camber kit (front) <-- do I need this on the rear too? I've only seen a few people even mention it in my reading so far.
Non-DX header (EX exhaust conversion?)
Cat-back exhaust (or full header-back if I can figure how to get the CEL to stay off so I pass state inspection)
Stereo
Wheels & Tires
Paint
Turbo ( )
Pics are attached so everyone can see what I'm starting with. She definitely could use some loving, but fortunately the bits are cheap and I love turnin wrenches, so it should be a lot of fun!

Attached Thumbnails Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project-civic-front.jpg   Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project-civic-left.jpg   Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project-civic-right.jpg  

Last edited by switch263; 01-29-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

I should add, too: Do we have any Austin TX members that might be able to point me to a decent shop / junkyard to get my replacement body panels? I'm having a shockingly hard time tracking them down.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Ouch, that one has seen better days. Glad you're going to put it back together.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 AM
HCF Member

you're using oe replacement struts with megan coilovers? be prepared to blow a strut or two. suspension is not the place to cheap out. If you wait a few months I'll have a nice set of Tein s-techs and koni struts for sale when I nab some Progress coilovers for my whip....

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shandles
you're using oe replacement struts with megan coilovers? be prepared to blow a strut or two. suspension is not the place to cheap out. If you wait a few months I'll have a nice set of Tein s-techs and koni struts for sale when I nab some Progress coilovers for my whip....
I cant remember if it was this forum or another, but I've seen lots of people running a 1 to 1.5" drop on OEM shocks with no issue, and megan racing themselves even says I can go to 1.5 on OEM shocks. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm also not looking to just start throwing money 'just because', so to speak.

Edit: According to: http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=449&catid=47 They're claiming as low as 2.25" drop before upgrading shocks is _required_ and I personally am thinking of only going between 1 and 1.5.

Edit 2: I've had some time since I got off work to think about this more. I understand that by lowering the car, i'm taking some of the travel out of the shock, which causes higher 'normal' pressure and faster buildup of pressure when in use, which can lead to premature failure. I guess what I'm still not sure on is if 1 to 1.5 inches on stock length is workable, or too risky. I know on the 88 Camaro I had, the 1" drop was perfectly fine for the entire 6 years before I sold the car on stock length shocks. No idea with a Civic, though, so yeah.

Last edited by switch263; 01-30-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Megan says it is required because if not, you'll blow out the struts in a matter of weeks. I would love to see how Megan tested this to come up with that number.

I am sure you will be fine, but just start looking into buying upgraded struts after the install. You'll be doing the work twice (and an alignment) but that is up to you.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Megan says it is required because if not, you'll blow out the struts in a matter of weeks. I would love to see how Megan tested this to come up with that number.

I am sure you will be fine, but just start looking into buying upgraded struts after the install. You'll be doing the work twice (and an alignment) but that is up to you.
I guess this is a far better way of wording what I was thinking! Sorry if I came off abrasive. I'm well aware of why I _should_ upgrade shocks, etc, but I'd really like to know how people come up with the numbers to say "It's okay at this level, but not at this one!". Seems rather arbitrary to me most of the time.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 AM

Well, everyone will see different results based on driving habits, road conditions, age/mileage of the struts which the coilovers are being installed onto.

A lot of us (including myself) suggest to replace everything all at once, for the sole reason of just not knowing how old the struts really are and having added security knowing everything is meant to work together and all is brand new.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Well I got my strut tower braces and coilovers in. Didn't have enough time to do the coilovers yet and the front STB won't fit with the stock airbox (CAI didn't show up till today after I was already at work).

I'll have some pics once I get the CAI and front STB installed.

Last edited by switch263; 02-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 AM
HCF Member

Well, I got the CAI, and its the worst-fitting thing I've ever seen. Picked it up second-hand off of an old friend who never opened/installed it on his car. I can't use it as a full cold-air intake, as the second piece of tubing doesn't line up with anywhere it could fit. Combined with my strut tower braces, the first piece alone barely fits under the hood. :-/ Oh well. It IS properly secured in place, so I'm not worried about it coming loose, but I definitely will be upgrading this to a proper one ASAP.

I only have the one picture for now... I got one of the rear STB as well but it was dark and I forgot I had a ton of crap in my trunk so its hardly worth looking at. Not that a strut tower brace is overly exciting to look at anyway, heh.

Edit: I can't believe how much of a volume difference the horrible CAI made too.... It's barely noticeably louder while cruising, but it's a night-and-day difference when you stomp on the gas! Almost annoyingly loud, actually. It did make a noticeable butt-dyno improvement though!

Attached Thumbnails Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project-civic_engine_bay.jpg  

Quick Reply: Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project