HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM

That CAI looks familiar...

Name:  DSC01205.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  126.0 KB

Generic eBay CAI. I have one too.

The other tube has to go down in front of the transmission, behind the radiator overflow container. The sharp curved end aims behind the bumper. The trick is to pull the bumper off, put the filter and the lower half on securely, then attach the lower and upper parts in the middle.

Name:  DSC01147a.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  88.6 KB

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 02-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

Hah! Look at that! Awful familiar. Yeah, the buddy I got it from said he got it from ebay originally. It's definitely nothing special, but seems to do the trick. Is it 'normal' for the volume level of the intake to increase as much as it did when I put this thing on?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 AM

Yep. That's why a lot of people put one on. It gives the engine a little more low end power, but makes it louder. Mine used to make a sort of... snarl, I guess.

Now I have a y8 intake with the same CAI cut to work as an SRI. Its even louder.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

Very cool! I'll probably use this one as a ghetto-SRI for the time being (unless I get a wild hair while I'm under the car doing suspension and decide to install it proper.) Thanks for the tip btw, I really just couldn't see how that second piece of pipe was supposed to fit anywhere useful, at all.

I'm genuinely impressed with how the motor sounds with this on there now. Surprisingly fun.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

Lol, so I had to get gas this morning on my way into work. Turns out that CAI and the strut tower bars made the car enough fun that I can't keep my foot out of it. Lost 7 mpg from doggin on it!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

Managed to find some replacement front fenders last night, $80 shipped for the pair, new-in-box. She's startin to come together!

I'm also shopping for shocks again.... could use opinions. KYB Excel-G's? Or Tokiko Blues? They seem to be physically similar shocks and I can get the KYB's locally for a good deal... Any input? I'm wanting to go between 1 and 2" drop utilizing the Megan Racing coilovers I already have on hand.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by switch263
Lol, so I had to get gas this morning on my way into work. Turns out that CAI and the strut tower bars made the car enough fun that I can't keep my foot out of it. Lost 7 mpg from doggin on it!
Nice! Yea, once you start modding, you tend to start laying the pedal down more often to just hear the noise. haha. If used correctly, I am sure you can actually increase your mpgs from what it was before the intake.

Can't help you on the shocks though. I tend to just go with complete coilovers that come with the strut in one piece.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Nice! Yea, once you start modding, you tend to start laying the pedal down more often to just hear the noise. haha. If used correctly, I am sure you can actually increase your mpgs from what it was before the intake.

Can't help you on the shocks though. I tend to just go with complete coilovers that come with the strut in one piece.
I'm probably just going to go with the KYB's. A couple buddies strongly recommended them, and the price is great. I'm sure they'll be fine for the small drop I want, and if not, well, live and learn I guess! Hah.

Edit: I should also say, too, regarding the gas mileage I've been getting, I totally spaced on unhooking the battery to clear the ECU, so I'm sure the computer thinks I'm running way lean. I'll address that tonight after work/tomorrow while doing suspension.

Last edited by switch263; 02-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

Well I got the suspension done. Car handles leaps and BOUNDS better with the coilovers and new shocks. Looks significantly better sitting at an appropriate height, too. I unfortunately didn't get any pics ... Spent most of my weekend elbow-deep in the car by myself and forgot my camera when starting.

Fenders shipped, scheduled to be here Feb 14th (Happy Valentines to me? heh). I think with the suspension done now, I'm probably mostly "done" on performance mods until I get my body bits in and on the car. I need to start looking into a stereo, too; the stock am/fm-only isn't cutting it.

Edit: I should say, too, I'm perfectly happy with the Megan Racing coilovers. They're a TINY bit harsh for a 'street-only' car, in my opinion, but not enough that it'll bother me at all, and well worth putting up with for the handling benefits. I definitely recommend them if anybody's looking for coilovers on the cheap.

Last edited by switch263; 02-10-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

I've wondered about Megan racing coilovers. The 240sx crowd certainly doesn't mind using them.

Post up some pics! It sounds like this little project is movin' along.

Quick Reply: Switch263's 1997 Civic DX project