HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Addiction2bass truck project thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Keep it up! I'm glad you got those parts finally.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya me too!!!!!!! i was really getting pissed!

and well i got the one side almost done. had to go out and buy afew new drills my small drill stopped cutting fast enough
i just have to bolt the notch in tomorrow i would have bolted it in tonight BUT after all that crawling under the truck and pushing so hard bent over drilling the frame rail.... well my back hurts so i just sprayed the rail alittle bit and quite. ill feel better tomorrow since im off work ill have all day to do the other rail. and hopefully also do the front as well.
the pieces ive been waiting so long for....
Name:  flipkit-01.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  151.1 KB
Name:  flipkit-06.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  96.9 KB

drilling pilot holes and then the final size hole sucks!!!!
Name:  flipkit-12.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  80.9 KB
Name:  flipkit-13.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  58.6 KB
Name:  flipkit-14.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  85.6 KB

my poor exhaust
Name:  flipkit-04.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  flipkit-02.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  76.4 KB

this summer eventually ill pull the bed off and clean up the whole frame and paint it with POR15 i know this bed liner paint wont last behind the frame notches. it already has rust coming thru on a few spots on my trailer hitch.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i got alittle more work today. did i mention that i hate drilling holes.LOL

the trucks got alittle chevy lean tho. i may fix it later this year... gotta see how much the front leans. the chevy lean is due to the gas tank and driver being on the drivers side. so the weight is definatly not distributed very good.
Name:  flipkit-13.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  shocks-01.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  180.4 KB
Name:  truckdrop-03.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  106.6 KB
Name:  truckdrop-06.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  112.7 KB
Name:  truckdrop-07.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  truckdrop-09.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  79.8 KB
Name:  truckdrop-08.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  104.9 KB

and im pretty sure that i already need to chop up the frame out completely for a weld in step notch... which i have one but its missing the lower plate so id have to make it myself. depends how bad she bottoms out daily how soon i weld it up!!!!!!! but at the soonest this late summer. still need to buy some helper bags if i want to tow anything.
either way late summer the bed will be pulled off and the frame painted with POR15 black. plan on busting out the sand blaster to the whole thing. rust sucks!

Name:  truckdrop-12.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  196.0 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

Looking good man, i wish i lived closer to someone like you, i would prob loose a bunch of weight wrenching on cars all day long..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya i could have you worken to.LOL my back and arms are killen me from all that drillen... probably didnt help that the large drill wasnt to sharp either
the main killer for me will be when i get this suspension done and start working on my civics body work I HATE SANDING!!!! i can do good body work and paint its just the manual labor of sanding sanding and more sanding and when i think im done.... YEP more sanding!
im going to attempt to pop most of the hail damage out with the dryice trick and HOPEFULLY that trick actually works at least some. at least that way i wont have to fill AS MUCH since im sure it wont be perfect.

o ya back to the truck topic... i seem to have bad luck lately... with waiting for the lower spring plates for almost 2 weeks. well today i started to install the rear shocks and GUESS WHAT..... im missing pieces for the one. missing the top bolt sleeve and also the lower sleeve for it. i was able to remove the original bolt sleeve from the factory shock BUT the lower sleeve is to fat and no way in hell i can get the sleeve thru the urethane bushings! so im waiting for summitracing.com to send me the new hardware... i just hope they do me a hell of alot better than stylintrucks did!
im tempted to just slap the shocks on since the lower sleeve is pretty thin so it might not be to bad on the bushing to have alittle slack since they are new urethane bushings.
all depends how i feel tomorrow after work.
i have to channel out the middle bed brace for it to clear the axles pumpkin. pretty minor tho.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well ok i got it on the ground again and driving, but the front ends still stock i wanted some funny pics and one thing the truck is screaming is I NEED AIR BAGS. LMFAO looks pretty cool, IF only i could flip a switch and make the front go down and back up. LOL
the back does bottom out on a hard dip going fast but not to bad at all.
the drivers side is one inch lower than the passenger.... dam full tank of gas.LOL

and no i havent got the shock steel sleeve yet BUT i couldnt resist busting the truck out and going for a drive! ill simply take the bolt out and slide the sleeve in when i get it in the mail.
i had to retorque the rear axle bolts already twice and still have to keep checking the Ubolts just to make sure they dont loosen up or stretch anymore.
just have to keep checking to be sure for alittle while. better safe than sorry.

sectioned the bed bracing for the rear pumpkin to clear.
Name:  truckreardone-10.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  76.8 KB
Name:  truckreardone-15.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  192.0 KB
Name:  truckreardone-16.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  175.5 KB

a whopping 7inches of clearance on the rear.... should raise alittle when i drop the front of course.
i drop the front tomorrow after work since i have all weekend off to get the front done and it shouldnt take me but a few hours to get the front done since its simple springs and spindles.

Name:  truckreardone-28.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  241.6 KB

REAR compares
before
passenger 33 1/2
Name:  DJM46dropkit-06.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  73.8 KB
drivers 32 3/4inches
Name:  DJM46dropkit-07.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  74.9 KB

after
passenger 27inches
Name:  truckreardone-06.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  44.2 KB
drivers 26 3/4inches
Name:  truckreardone-03.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  119.1 KB

so ruffly 6.5inch drop on passenger side and 6inch drop on drivers side. my measuring might be off alittle bit
but so far it rides good. needs the front dropped and alignment done. might not be able to get the alignment till the 15th tho.... have to run some numbers and see if i can before then or not..... the cable bill is taking alot of my cash and i also forgot mother day funds. which no way in hell i could skip that. about 100bucks spent there but well worth it to make my mom happy of course. i got the text when she got them "WOW you shouldnt have but im so glad you did i totally love it." she 1K miles away but i can picture her smile. sure it sounds saby but i love my mom. and if i missed it my mom and dad would not let me forget about it.LOL im sure my stupid brother probably wont get her anything.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

Give us what weve been waiting for man
PRoject civic thread Ftw.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

lol that lookss hilarious with only back done like the *** is dragging :P

Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i did that for sh**s and giggles
right now im working on the front. trying to figure out these factory knockouts i keep hearing of for my truck but i cannt find any pictures. im not sure if mine have been knocked out already or if these metal flaps that are bent over are them and just need to be hammered flat or what not.
hoping i can get a answer on my truck forum. so far no luck searching for a before and after pic.
hopefully ill get a answer or find a picture of before and after soon so i can bolt the front back up.

i thought id have this knocked out in a few hours but hell took me 2hours so far just removing one side. i swear a trucks balljoints suck! i had to use a freaken wrench and a trailer hitch extension to get enough leverage to loosen the balljoint nuts! NUTS!
but i got one spring out and new one almost in. i just need to figure out this upper control arm knock out crap then i can put it all together and be done with the passenger side at least.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i got one side done at least... i didnt have to grind down the LCA any for it to clear my wheels but it is close... i might grind it down about 1/4inch on the front just be to safe.

defiantly learned how not to change the springs! the book tells you one way which is NO GOOD!!!!!!! alot easier to just pull the balljoints and spindle and pull the spring out the side instead of pulling the rear LCA mounts. lining up those 2 rear LCA bolts is a huge PITA!

Name:  DSC000112.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  117.4 KB

the front lip is very close!!!!
Name:  DSC000132.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  72.4 KB

chopped down the factory bump stop.
Name:  DSC00011.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  85.8 KB
Name:  DSC00012.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  100.5 KB

and the one thing that defiantly bugs me about lowering the front is the instructions say NOTHING about having to bend the hard brake line. that was a bad suprise. defiantly nerve racking bending that dang line!
it hits the top balljoint mount on the drop spindle.

Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  102.7 KB

drivers side still needs done of course. and im not sure IF or HOW MUCH the springs will settle. ill do the drivers side tomorrow and then try to set the camber a little better.... i have it set outwards a little to much on the passenger side. since i wasnt sure how much adjustment i had stock, turns out quite a bit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Addiction2bass truck project thread