HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM

I wish I could just find a complete EX exhaust. Keep it nice and stock... The search is frustrating around here because all of the rednecks sell the cats for the platinum.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
I wish I could just find a complete EX exhaust. Keep it nice and stock... The search is frustrating around here because all of the rednecks sell the cats for the platinum.
yards out here sells stock catalytic converters for ~$200, well that was for a dx with the header so price could vary. Not sure if that would be worth paying for and shipping if you were even interested (cant imagine shipping cost). But same here in that they usually would rather sell it to core return people who buy the converters for about $75-$100 in bulk and it is not illegal (it is illegal to sell any converter that has ever been used in california, probably just illegal in general. But he will still sell it to me). Just throwing that out there for ya...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM

I will keep an eye out for you guys. If one pops up locally for cheap, I will let u guys know

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
If shipping wasn't so stupid pricey, I have a stock EL exhaust... probably the same thing.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

I finally got a vacation and my mind kinda finally "reset". Thanks to a bit of relaxation, beer drinking around the fire pit, visiting family, etc. I'm finally more clear headed and I want to get back to work on the car. I let a lot of stuff go and that's not good. I've almost destroyed another right rear tire due to bad camber problems. This time I think I'll just end up with a full set of new tires. I liked the Kumho Ecsta AST's but the two originals I have left are beginning to dry rot (after only like... 4 years?), the 2nd newer one is now worn unevenly, and the newest one is... well, it's ok. But the full size spare is also BADLY worn. Like, to the point where if I have it on the car, the noise is awful and the car shakes.

So the list goes as follows:

To do:
-Get aftermarket camber kit
-Get brakes (30% pads left on the front plus one warped rotor)
-FIX EXHAUST (Put old header back on, get a damn muffler)

Already done:
-Make fog lights function again. (Still need to be aimed right...)

Just for fun:
-Acura 1.6 EL trunk lid and lower console (thanks to zerojett)

Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Quick question that I hope someone reads: Brembo drilled/slotted rotors. Any downsides other than the "bling" factor and potential cracking if they weren't drilled right?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

Waste of money. Honestly if you have aftermarket rotors on it already just get them cut. That or take a digital micrometer and measure the rotor width, I can get you the service limit (I'm a tech for Acura) and just get the rotors cut. Brembo rotors are a waste of money for a dd, $25 Advance auto rotors are fine. Only problem is a lot of those are warped right out of the box from sitting. 90% of cars I do brakes on at work the rotors are cuttable, and on the ones that need new rotors I still cut the new rotors to make sure they are straight. So long story short, you'd be fine cutting your rotors, you'd be suprised how much room an oem rotor has to be cut, last a couple brake jobs for sure. Save yourslef the $100 from Brembo's, buy yourself a nice set of OEM pads or Hawk's, pay $20 to have the rotors cut, and call it a day.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM

The reason I asked was that I scored a pair of Brembo drilled/slotted rear rotors for a cool $50, BNIB off craigslist. I need front brakes more, but I figured I might as well do some sort of upgrade. Cheaper than buying blanks otherwise.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

Well now you have to get drilled and slotted fronts lol, otherwise it'll look goofy.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM

That was the idea, but hey, super cheap rotors. Actually, you can hardly see the rotors anyways since I have Si rims.

Quick Reply: Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver