HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 AM

Nice! Glad to see the fogs are in!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

I decided to change my fuel filter today. It was supposed to be a 30 minute job. I ended up without a car 4 hours later.

The lower fitting cross threaded and stripped when I was putting the new one on. That means I'm gonna have to replace the whole damn fuel line AND get another filter. Since I can't afford to do this, the car is gonna sit for a long time.

I'm no Honda enthusiast if I can't even change a ******* fuel filter. I'm so damn frustrated that I want to just sell the damn car and be done with it. I've never been so damn tired of my Honda.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Ah! Hobo! Everything the first time around will be a PITA. Not saying you don't know what you are doing, but the fact that everything has been there for 10+ years, and now you are the one touching it. For this reason, I have become an anti-seize *****

A new line and filter shouldn't cost too much I would think. Filter is like $30 and the line is about $20, right? Yes, I do understand that you don't have much money to throw around on the car, but think about if you paid a mechanic to change it for you, they would have taken like $100 from you for it. Regardless if something broken and needs to be replaced, I bet you are still ahead in the long run. Plus, the knowledge on how to do this stuff helps in the future, too.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-31-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
HCF Member

Hey man no hard feelings car work can be very frustrating. Im all learning to work on a Honda and believe me other than changing tires and oil I can't do too much on my own and it can be a hard, and long process.

Sorry it has to sit for awhile bro at least those parts aren't extremely expensive.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM

I called Daniel, my mechanic, and he said "damn, that's a bitch" and couldn't quote me a price. That = bad news to me.

Since the fitting was screwed anyways, my dad and I tried some redneck engineering, which consisted of a brass fitting with a barbed end, some soft fuel lines, and a bunch of hose clamps. It also entailed cutting the broken end off.

Of course that failed because the pressure was too high.

Car is sitting in my parents front yard with a for sale sign on it.

Not really, but I'm just that frustrated with it. I'm gonna go to the junk yard tomorrow and cut off a couple of lines from some wrecks with a pipe cutter and then use a compression fitting to splice them together. Still redneck engineering but it might hold until I can afford to do it right.

Also gotta buy another fuel filter. Wasted a new one and even damaged the old one. I just got screwed over today.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

I hate it when easy things go wrong, Makes you feel so incompetent I've been there on my car.....thank God for my dad, or else my car would be ruined. I can't even imagine working on my car without my dad helping me.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
HCF Member

Things look up eventually! when i was putting in an LCA with an actual bushing lol my LAST bolt decided to break off inside, i had to take off my whole drivers side rear end and go up to the mechanic for them to get it out. So my "quick little" lca swap turned into an all day thing.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM

It runs.

Name:  DSC02316.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  88.2 KB

The fix included a junkyard run and a pipe cutter. Snagged a section of fuel line with fitting off a wrecked 98. Got it for $2 which was still too much. Cut the old line off, spliced the two together with a compression fitting. It runs. No leaks so far.

I got halfway home and suddenly got The Dreaded Flashing CEL of Misfires. Pulled over, popped the hood, and DUH, the wire for cylinder 1 was off the dizzy. (I leaned on it. Oops.) So I reached down to reattach and it was so humid that I bridged the gap and got shocked pretty hard. Twice.

The car bit me for breaking it.

Karma.

But hey, at least I can make it to work tomorrow.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 09-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 AM

It only happens once...

Name:  img130.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.8 KB

..yeah, I was driving a little fast so I could get to that moment quicker.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 09-04-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Haha i was like "...what only happens once?" and then after looking more closely i got it haha sadly im already over 130 :/

Quick Reply: Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver