HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

MaximusFunk's 97 CRV fix up

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM

You wouldn't put those on your Civic because they are 5 lug

Yes, the flex pipes look like woven steel. I think I have seen flex pipes as small as 2" long.

Just let me know about the o2 sensor whenever you know. They are not really going anywhere.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

the spare cover came in today, Im very happy with it. won it new on ebay for 15 dollars. guess nobody wanted a pink one.

right after i put it on, I went for a drive and the muffler broke off at the flange. Guess it was more rusted than I had thought. I rigged it up so it will hold for a few weeks till i can afford a new one. new muffler will look cleaner anyway.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

the chinese knockoff centercaps look like *****, I took them off right away and will be picking up some 01 prelude centercaps from the junkyard in a few days, providing they fit. Got my money back anyway because they were different than the ones pictured in the auction.

i need a new front wheel bearing, so im going to get them both done. I was planning on doing it myself by just replacing the hub assembly, but apparently 97-05 crv's have no hub, just a press in wheel bearing. Everywhere in town is sold out of 36mm sockets for the spindle nut, and i would have to buy a bearing press because advanced doesnt rent them, so im leaving this to a mechanic.

Also ran over a phillips head screw so i will be moving the new front tires up on my priority list. this week is gonna leave me really broke, but after this the only project left to do is the Rust Bullet Coating which I already bought.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

tires, wheel bearings, and rust bullet are all done. the Rust bullet feels very sturdy, and no cleaning product besides a copper scouring pad will take it off your skin. i have a feeling it will work great.

Sawzalled some sections of metal so that I could reach the rusty inside parts with the brush. it was more work than I had expected.

exentually I will do some bondo for the hood and one of the fenders before i paint the spots.

by the way, there was actually extensive rust underneath certain parts of the factory rust proofing, so if you think you are safe, check for discolored spots or bubbles in the factory proofing, and you may want to scrape them off and take car of it.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

just found out from the dealer that cars with a J at the start of the VIN are made in Japan and shipped here. So this CRV is JDM fa reel yo!

And it needs new tie rod ends.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

swapped out the orange crv gauge pod with my old ek civic, and put blue civic caps on the climate control bulbs instead of the orange crv ones. Also swapped out the orange crv tape player for a blue/green oem civic cd player. Had to make a pre98-post98 conversion harness because the honda plugs are different.

Much more relaxing inside. no pictures, but it looks just like a civic at night now, and no more tapes.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM

You should sell the CRV cluster. I have seen them (Manual ones) go for like $100.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

put in new tie rod ends and boots. inner and outer on both sides. Im pretty proud, I have never messed with them before, and it was one of the smoothest problem free projects ive ever done. Got an alignment afterwards.

Looking for an oem hood bra(nose mask). The rust spots on the hood look awful with the rust bullet on them, and the bra would cover it. Plus they look cool. I cant find one for under 95 dollars, and most websites say they dont have it in stock because it was discontinued.

This thing is only getting like 25-27 highway mpg. not what i had hoped : / it was fun during the first snowstorm this winter though.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 PM

I am hitting like 24-25 highway with my H22. I miss the decent gas mileage. haha.

I have heard things about the bras making rust accelerate since it will trap water causing the rust to worsen. However, I am not sure if this is true.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

I heard that too, but this hood is garbage. I have looked everywhere for a good hood with this paint color. nothing local and out of state junkyards dont wanna ship to me. The hood bra will cover the ugly for a few years till i buy a new hood and have it painted.

I read an auto 97 crv would get like 31 highway. I gave it a full tuneup besides the valve lash(never done a b-series head before) and cleaning the EGR(i think that b20's have one but not sure). still poop for mileage. Ill try doing those 2 things in the spring.

Quick Reply: MaximusFunk's 97 CRV fix up