HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
June 2010 ROTM

woo woo!! More pics or BAN!!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Thanks, drew... I still really want a project 240, but I just kind of realized I can't afford a dd and a project car while at school, so the two project cars I want (a 240 and an eg/ek hatch/coupe) will have to wait. (but me getting an audi tt (hardtop... not one of those sissy verts lol) or a bmw m3 takes precedence over the project cars lmao)

So what kind of pics do you want, dan?

*edit: Searching craigslist, I found a set of Cobra front brakes (if you haven't seen them, they're f**king huge); rotors, lines, and calipers for $300. As soon as the good folks at MustangForums let me know if they'll clear the stock wheels, I'll decide if I'm getting them or not. I'd love to get them, but if they won't fit (the earliest I'll be able to afford those wheels I want will be when my tax return comes), I'll probably go ahead and buy the aluminum driveshaft and rear seat delete.

*'nother edit: Well, the stock wheels won't clear the brakes, but I'm still considering getting them and waiting until I get those 17's to put them on. $300 is one helluva deal for cobra brakes (to put it into perspective, the kit new from ford is around $700). Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by reaper2022; 11-04-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

just do it. If you don't you will regret it later.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, after talking it over with some of the guys on MustangForums, I think I'll just go with the driveshaft and rear seat delete. I still really want the cobra brakes, but I found a place with basically the same thing (New brembo blanks, cobra calipers, SS brake lines) for $439 brand new, and I also found out I can piece together the swap for $150 or so; oem replacement rotors, rebuilt calipers, and SS lines.

But the cobra brakes will have to wait until I get my 17's.

*edit: and this thread may very well take a different direction from here on out. I think (since drag racing is overrated) I might look more into focusing less on power and more on suspension, aero, etc. I'm currently doing research on diffusers, under-body trays, vortex generators, etc. I'm thinking of running a splitter (aerotabs at the least), under-body panels, a custom rear lower diffuser, vortex generators, and either a Steeda or a Mustang Cobra R wing (whichever actually performs better... it's looking like the Steeda). Also, instead of 17x9's in front and 17x10.5's in back, I'll probably go with 17x9's all around (save some money/weight). Of course, the LSD, rear gear, duals, etc. are still going on, but I'm going to do some more research and most likely focus primarily on the aero and handling aspects for the time being.

Also, instead of cutting stock springs, I might do something a little different. Adjustable camber/caster plates, 1.5" lowering springs, with 1-2 coils cut (I'm going to research/calculate the spring rates, not just cut where it looks good), and hopefully (if I can find one), an independent rear suspension.

At any rate, I'm off to do more research! (and I'm probably going to learn a helluva lot about aerodynamics lmao)

Last edited by reaper2022; 11-05-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

double post... I've sort of finalized my new project direction (I'll update the front page to reflect the changes in a minute). Basically, I'm going (almost) all-out with suspension and aero mods; wheels, engine parts, and pure cosmetic parts will have to wait.

But the real reason I'm posting again is to let you guys know that I've started framing the rear diffuser; I'm making a skeleton out of plywood and then I'm going to fiberglass it; the fiberglass is going to take forever just for the fact that I refuse to use body filler, so I'm going to be sanding quite a lot, and laying quite a few layers of fiberglass. I'll have pictures of my progress in the morning; I didn't make much headway today short of measuring, figuring out angles, making a few cuts, and seeing how things are working out. Hopefully I'll have it done soon (it probably won't be on the car for a week or two, but hopefully I'll have started laying the fiberglass by the time I go back to school sunday).

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Build look solid man. I am not a big fan of mustangs, looks or mechanical, but that just personal preference.

...well I guess I would say not a fan of stock mustangs. My cousin works for Rouch, and I got to drive a 2009 427r Mustang last year (holy crap O_O) and he has a 1999 SVT cobra with something like.....500+ whp. Anyway he wouldn't let me drive that one.

As far as YOUR car goes. 10.5 in the back may add a few pounds but it will give you better traction in the corners , so I think its worth it.

Last edited by Tiran; 11-07-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: I can't spell, durrrr
Old 11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

ive liked mustangs, since i was about 15, of course could never afford the insurance.

i remember reading 5.0 litre mag, dont even know if its still there, maybe changed to 4.6 litre. there was one guy the did a write up on. who put all his money into suspension installs. and was running a stock engine. been a long time but the write up was showing how fast you could run in the quarter, just by getting the stock engines power to the pavement.

lol, i have a hard enough time putting gas in my car.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

^^ same as me man, I read 5.0 still! :P (lol guilty pleasure) the mag is still around here anyways. Hey Chris a bit off topic but I forget what you are going to school for is it a tech of some sort? This project looks like alot of fun plus it is a newer stang so it should be somewhat pain free for reliability when compared to the old 5.0's or older mustangs. It would be nice to have a really good handling mustang with a bit of extra kick to it! You could lose the heavier cars in the turns and v6 would be a killer mix with handling in my opinion. I always felt fords v6 are a bit more responsive then the v8 or mabey Ive never driven a modified stang lol

Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Cereal Admin

thanks guys... tiran, I'm still considering the 10.5 rear wheels... the biggest problem I can see (aside from cost and weight) would be that I won't be able to rotate tires if I go with 10.5's in the rear.

But anyway, it's kind of a s**tty day out right now (rainy, cold, miserable), so the rear diffuser probably won't get much work done; I'll probably finish cutting out the fins and glue them in place (remember, I'm just making the skeleton right now; it'll get fiberglassed when I'm done, so it'll be much stronger).

I'm thinking about pulling the exhaust off today and just running open h-pipe for a week or so until I can get the exhaust hangars. It'll give me something to do today anyway.

And drew, I'm going to Wyotech right now; it's an automotive tech school. Also, good-handling mustangs ftw!

EDIT: Motherf**ker. I was cutting the tailpipe at the muffler (since it's the only way to pull the tailpipe over the rear axle if you don't have a shop lift) and it turns out the geniuses at Ford decided half an inch away from the exhaust pipe would be a great place to throw a metal brake line. Yup, sliced right through the b***h. Luckily, I have insanely good luck; went to the local dealership and talked to one of the techs (can't say the dealership and I can't give the tech's name lol). He told me he legally couldn't tell me what to do for a quick fix, and then he told me what to do for a quick fix; I asked him if he had the part I needed, and he went back and got one... gave it to me free of charge . So now as soon as I manage to get the cat-back off, I'm going to put it on (it's one of those deals with the two nuts, center section, and you put it over a line to bridge the gap, I can't think of the name offhand), and we'll see how well it fixes the problem. He said to fix it would be around $30 + labor, so if it comes down to it, I can go to a dealership to have it fixed. But anyway, I should be able to get the duals on today. Pics later, and I officially hate the mustang... seems like nothing gets done on the car without a MAJOR complication. Well, I'm off to bridge the new gap in my brake line...

Last edited by reaper2022; 11-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

lol cool sounds like fun and I was thinking since I lost my good job as a millwright apprentice I am going to go back to a tech school and get the same type of training either to begin as a motorcycle/atv/skidoo mechanic or auto tech and then just go that way because finding another apprentice job is super hard, anyways off topic lol good luck on the brakes:P

Quick Reply: Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)