HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

thanks... the brake line is fixed, now I'm just trying to figure out how the f**k I'm going to get the h-pipe on... ford put the bolts on the bottom of the headers in the hardest to get to places imaginable. I'm doing research right now to try to find out the easiest way... I might have to take the headers completely off and drop everything out the bottom.

*edit: forget about pulling the headers... apparently you have to lift the engine a little to unbolt the headers. F**king ford... I'm almost ready to sell it and buy another honda... my civic was so easy to work on.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
thanks... the brake line is fixed, now I'm just trying to figure out how the f**k I'm going to get the h-pipe on... ford put the bolts on the bottom of the headers in the hardest to get to places imaginable. I'm doing research right now to try to find out the easiest way... I might have to take the headers completely off and drop everything out the bottom.

*edit: forget about pulling the headers... apparently you have to lift the engine a little to unbolt the headers. F**king ford... I'm almost ready to sell it and buy another honda... my civic was so easy to work on.
lol I was about to say I bet you were wishing you had a civic right now

Old 11-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Tell me about it... the worst thing that happened when working on my civic was when I installed the coilovers and the rear LCA bolts were seized in the bushings, and that was an easy (but expensive... $60 worth of poly bushings and new bolts) fix.

Anyway, after searching for a deep socket and a 10" extension, I managed to get the y-pipe off. The duals are on (after a little fabricating of exhaust/tailpipe hangars); pics of the install and a teaser pic in about 20 minutes after I get the garage cleaned up. I'll get the "after" exhaust clip tomorrow and post both the before and after clips. Let me just say, it sounds slightly raspy (no cats and an h-pipe will do that), but it sounds so absolutely bada** it isn't funny. Unfortunately, I get to deal with an exhaust leak at the left header/downpipe connection until I feel up to crawling around under the car again; I'm so sore from crawling around under there for the last 10 hours that I really don't want to get under the car for a few days.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

More Picy, Less Talky...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Jeez... so impatient

Here's the pics from today (at least the interesting ones). I'll get more pics tomorrow, it's dark and cold out, and I'm sore, have a headache, and I'm very, very hungry.

Anyway, here it goes:

The stock Y-Pipe (still on the car, duh )
Name:  StockY-Pipe.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  31.1 KB

And the sexy new off-road H-pipe (complete with "Off-Road Use Only" plate welded on ):
Name:  offroadh-pipe2.jpg
Size:  33.3 KB

From the front of the car:
Name:  offroadH-pipe.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB

Why spend $30 for a Mustang GT muffler hangar at a dealership when you can make one?:
Name:  exhausthangars.jpg
Size:  22.4 KB

And why spend money on tailpipe hangars when you can make your own (with no rattling so far )
Name:  tailpipehangars.jpg
Size:  25.2 KB

One of the hangars in place (lol @ my brake line... you can see my fix if you look close):
Name:  brakelineXD.jpg
Size:  36.5 KB

The new exhaust in place (more pics tomorrow):
Name:  teaserpic.jpg
Size:  22.2 KB

And a little comparison here; this is what I had on the car:
Name:  stockexhaust.jpg
Size:  27.7 KB
2.25" tubing, not one, but four cats, and a sound only grandmas would enjoy

Compared to this:
Name:  duals.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  22.8 KB
2.5" mandrel-bent tubing, no cats, and that deep "I'm going to beat the s**t out of you with a baseball bat" sound

More pics tomorrow, don't worry

Old 11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

Nice picks coming along nicely there

Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Cereal Admin

thanks

More pitchers!

'Nother rear shot:
Name:  rearshot.jpg
Size:  46.8 KB

One from the ground:
Name:  rearshot2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  43.3 KB

And none of that ricer "tips hanging an inch past the bumper" s**t here:
Name:  rearshot3.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB

And unfortunately, thanks to mother nature and her constant 10mph breeze, I can't get a good exhaust video today... I'm starting to wish I'd have taken a video last night in the garage. But hopefully there won't be as much wind tomorrow, so I can get a decent exhaust video.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Nice! Yeah, hopefully that wind dies downs soon.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Okay, I managed to get a half-decent (read: minimum wind noise) video. It's still not the best (the mic on my camera isn't the best), but you can sort of hear the deep, lopping idle. Doesn't sound too bad for a v6 IMO.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 AM
HCF Member

yea doesnt sound too bad for a v6, also once you get some headers and supercharge it, that baby will sound bad ***

Quick Reply: Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)