HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

ShelzMike's 93 DX (re) Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member
Default ShelzMike's 93 DX (re) Build

Well, I finally took pictures of the 93 Honda Civic DX that I bought a week ago. I couldn't really find out where I should post them, but since I plan on this being an ongoing project, I decided what better place than to start it here. A little history:

I bought this from a repo man for $1500 - had to get a title reissue and whatnot. Apparently the story goes that the PO had some mods done on the can and decided to get a title loan...didn't pay it back...the title loan company impounded it, but still gave him a chance to pay. Well, instead of paying it off, he was jumping the fence when they were closed and taking the parts off of it. When the title loan company found out about it, they called the repo man to just come pick it up and keep it.

When he got it, there was no front bumper, the stereo (and there was apparently subs and an amp installed based on the wires) was gone, the intake was taken off, wheels were replaced with extremely bald tires on I think Acura? rims. The repo man put this bumper on it, which looks okay, but is not a right fit I do not think - it kinda looks crappy, but it works for now as I plan on replacing it.

The odo says 200k, but based on the way that the thing runs and drives and because the cluster looks to be a non-matching color - that is probably wrong. Doesn't really matter at this point bc I will be doing a swap.

At first glance, the paint job looks pretty decent, but one will soon discover that there are lots of chips, a little bit of rust, and the job looks like a home deal because none of the door jambs, under the hood, etc. have been painted. The car was clearly red at one point. Looks like an awesome red though, but I will probably not go with red. There is a pretty good attempt at ghost flames that look somewhat 3-D in the sun - I do not really like them, but most people say they do - they will certainly be going.

The rest of the body kit is not really tightened up at all, though I think that it gives the car a decent look at the moment. The rear bumper was pretty good, until the freaking mechanic that put the tires on backed it into a pole. He is supposed to be getting it repaired. I wasn't too mad about it - it was crappy anyway. I wasn't going to lie and throw a fit and make him buy me a whole new one - that would have been wrong. He did put the tires on for free though

The interior is actually in REALLY good shape, except for the driver side carpet, which is to be expected. There was a strong mildew smell in the car when I first got it, but it had been sitting in the heat for a long time with the windows up. The RR window is broken - it doesn't roll up (but stays up if you pull it up). I am guessing rain got into the floorboard and caused the mildew. I could never find it, but a week long treatment of heavy duty febreeze has gotten it smelling really good actually.

I wish I had pictures of when I first got it - because of the low-pro tires that were also bald this thing was sitting really low - I couldn't even put my foot under the side skirt. It actually didn't drag that much at all and it was so awesome to drive - like a big go-kart! At least it was lowered with coil-overs and not cut springs, though I will be replacing the entire suspension as it is kinda wore out.

As far as the rest of the interior and doors - all but one of the door handles were broken (outside didn't work, inside did). I fixed all but one of those - it got dark. All windows roll up and down fine, but the the rollers all need to be services and greased as they are kinda tight. All doors open fine - driver side door stop is for some reason broken off though. I may not replace that until I put lambos on this, which will not be for a long long time.

The PO painted some parts of the interior white (console, door handles, speaker covers). This will be undone in short order.

Spare tire and board that goes over it are missing, but that is okay - plan on cutting the hole for the tire out and making it flat.

Probably my biggest little need right now is the molding that runs along the window/door that keeps the water out of the door. The clips on the RR are broken off.

Here are the pictures to start (I forgot to take pics of the interior and engine compartment - I will do that tomorrow). Below it are what I have done so far and what I plan on doing next.

Like I said earlier, I plan on completely replacing the suspension.
Also:
New rotors/calipers
New Body Kit
Engine Swap (not sure to what at this point - I am somewhat new to the "scene" and am not sure what my options are.
Turbo
17 or 18 inch rims with lower profile tires
Swap out Cluster for one with tach
- Reverse Gauge replacement
Dash Trim kit
Custom audio setup in trunk.
Racing Seats
Headers (currently has Edlebrock Headers, but the clearance is not very good)
New Exhaust
Skunk Shorty Shifter
New Cold Air Intake (right now, I just bought a Spectre from AutoZone just to have something - it actually works pretty good).
I know there is probably much more that will come up along the way, but this is going to probably be a fairly long project, considering I have 3 kids and loads of bills and a job that I should be getting paid more for!)

Things I have done:
New Tires (FUZION HRI from TireRack) They are actually awesome tires for a heckuva price - but I went this route because I need them to pass inspection and new I was going to be getting bigger wheels and didn't want to waste too much money.

New brakes (Bosch OEM Ceramic) - same as above, I will be switching this soon - probably next.

new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor replacement.

New stainless shifter **** because the PO had taken this as well.

As mentioned, fixed the door handles.

New JVC HD Headunit from Crutchfield. Hey, I got it for $99 and I just got it for now to get me by - all of the speakers are blow though!

That's about it for now, if you were interested enough to actually read to this point - thanks. I will post pics of the engine and interior tomorrow and when I start on my next project I will report back.

Any comments/suggestion/concerns, needs to tell me I am a fool or whatever, please do. Thanks!

Mike

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM

That poor little Civic is trying to be fast and furious. Hope you're able to save it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

I certainly love a challenge. Besides, at first I was back on forth on buying this, but am now glad that I did.

Mike