HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Tiran's EJ6; 4 Doors of Fury

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 PM

Those are a heck of a lot better than those old foggy ones. I was looking at that style of projector for my car.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

Ok small update.

I have my Buddy Club Type A shift **** and installed it, super clena and no problems =P

OEM ****
Name:  oldshiftknob.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  62.8 KB

Buddy Club Type A ****
Name:  BuddyClubTypeAknob.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  63.6 KB

Also I got a new job, that is 500km away from where I live but I will make almost twice what I make now. so I am moving. I dunno when I will have income to pay for civic parts again, (let alone internet access) but I will not let this project die.

On the plus side I found out with 3 guys, plus their luggage for a weeks vacation (trunk full) my car still gets 37MPG on the highway. And that going 75-80 MPH. Not bad for a 12 year old car with 267000km (165000 miles) on the engine.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
HCF Member

First off, I am back home, I got laid off from the job, (lame but whatever I got my old job back).

Anyway. While I was up there I discovered why stock hangers suck. Stock piping is light cause its thin and small diameter, when I upgraded to my greddy system it seriously stretched my center rubber hanger. Plus there is no support on the header's down pipe right before the cat so I had a massive dip in the center of my system.

Where I am right now it's flat, up north it was hilly and they had murderous speed bumps. My resonator would scrap half the time and it sucked massively. In fact one was so bad that it cause my exhaust to start having a metallic vibration noise ta certain RPM levels. I talked to some people and trustdestruction recommended I use a poly exhaust hanger. he had one left so he sold it to me and it arrived the other day.

PICS!

Ok here it is with the old rubber hanger.

Name:  DSC00200.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  93.3 KB

Here is the new hanger, plus mechanix gloves (which rock BTW)

Name:  DSC00201.jpg
Size:  184.0 KB

How the old hanger was sitting, notice the stretching.

Name:  DSC00202.jpg
Size:  87.6 KB

And the new one installed, It looks similar but its a different angle and trust me, its sitting higher and there is 0 stretch.

Name:  DSC00203.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  103.6 KB

Now the poly hanger was a bitch to install on the mid pipe. Since it dose not stretch I had to use a lot of WD40 and brute force but it slid on eventually. this just reinforces my theory that EVERYTHING fits with enough lube! =D

The only problem now is that between 1400 and 1450 RPM teh WHOLE car vibrates...meh, its such a small range and I don't ever drive that car there, (due to gearing and speed limits) so its all good.

Now big news. the project is changing a bit. I am not going for full coil overs and no longer getting the camber kits. I am going to go with KYB AGX struts and Spoon Progressive springs instead. I have no need for 15 way adjustable coil overs on a Daily driver that will see a track maybe a few times a year. Plus this should save me over 100 dollars so hopefully I can get a new engine sooner.

Also I am thinking of maybe not going for a B18C1 and just building a D16Z6. With a similar build, (high comp pistons and stage 2 cam) I would probably get about 150ish HP, which as far as I am concerned is more then enough. Plus I could reuse my header (unless I get a 4-1) and woudl not have to buy aftermarket engine mounts. On the downside if I wanted an LSD I would HAVE to buy and get an aftermarket unit installed.

Anyway I am still debating the idea so please, input people!

Last edited by Tiran; 10-18-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Those poly exhaust hangers will make more noise as it is transfering the vibrations to the car since the hanger is stiffer. Same thing would happen if you put stiffer motor mounts in your car. After reading your post, I realized I am having the same issue with my resonator pipe hanging down due to a sagging/stretched hanger.

I have 20-way adjustable coilovers, and I never track my car or any of that stuff. I just liked the coilovers, their spring rates, and the fact you can completely slam a car on coilovers, and then raise it back to stock height when you want. With springs, you can't adjust the ride height.

Save the SOHC!!!! Stick with the z6. It's easier to work on, cheaper, and more fun to say you walked a SI or a GSR with a single cam. Just be sure to get at least 0.5mm over bore pistons (and obviously get your bottom end bored 0.5mm). If you get stock bore pistons, you can possibly run into issues such as piston slap. 150whp will definitely be an upgrade and make your d series more fun to drive. I feel that if you build your current motor, you'll be happier since you built it, and didn't just buy a bigger motor and installed it (not saying that wouldn't be satisfying, but I feel like building your current motor would give you more pride...it did for me!).

Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Nah, trust me, it's not the poly hanger making it vibrate, they're not that bad about vibration. The poly hanger pulled the exhaust up higher so you're probably rubbing exhaust on something now. Look around the S-bend and the bend in the axle back that goes over the rear LCA. The exhaust is probably rubbing the gas tank a little bit.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Well I am only getting the vibration at the one RPM range so I can deal with it.

And yeah, the Spoons will drop me about 20mm (almost an inch) which is what I want.

Also I do not have the z6 yet, I have a Y7 (woo). If I did get one It woudl be a complete strip down, replace all the bearings, boil the block, etc etc. I was unsure about the overbore, with high compression, I do not want to loose too much cylinder wall width. Also I can get a B-series tranny with a stock LSD, and I think that will greatly improve my times I woudl have to get an aftermarket LSD installed with teh z6 and need to research that more.

Regardless, the chassis needs to be setup to take the power first, then I cna worry about the engine.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM

You're gonna want to check it out. If you let it rub for too long you're going to rub straight through the gas tank.

Of course I don't mean right away... but eventually.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

Well paranoia got the best of me, so I checked out the S pipe and realized how to fix it. Fixing it requires cutting and welding 2 things I am neither equipped to do nor skilled at, but I got a local guy to fix it and it looks awesome and fits beautifully. Will post pics when he gets them posted.

Anyway, this came in the mail, super stoked. I also ordered bulbs for it, same style as the ones in my headlights but in H3 size. so when those arrive i will install it and then the road should be like daylight for me =D

And yes, this is a GENUINE Raybrig Honda kit. Cost me A LOT more then a set of square ones off eBay but I am a sucker for OEM. Plus since my projectors emit a round beam I think round fogs will make the car look cleaner. May not make sense to you but It dose to me.

PICS!

The box

Name:  foglightsinbox.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  99.4 KB

The fog light

Name:  foglight.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  75.2 KB

The instructions

Name:  instructionmanual.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  64.4 KB

Genuine Honda

Name:  genuinhonda.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  54.0 KB

Genuine Raybrig

Name:  raybrig.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  89.1 KB

And yes they have glass lenses.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 AM

these are sick!!! nice purchase!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

Got the fog lights installed today. It went slowly, but then I took my time. Plus Honda are bastards and hide plugs and whatnot and place the wiring harness behind large objects you can't fit you hand behind. Additionally I had difficulty finding a place to secure the relay and ground under the dash.

BUT in the end everything is working and awesome. Turned them on and they lit up like they were supposed to. And the car did not catch on fire, explode or short anything out, soooooo......Win!

I used the exact same bulbs in these fog as I did in my headlights. Raybrig Metal Thunder 4700K 55 Watt = 95 Watt except in H3 size. And I got them from eautoworks.com which is an awesome website =D

I installed them while it was light but had to work in the evening. So when I got out of work it was dark and decided I drive home with just the fogs on to see how good they were. I would say they performed as well as standard halogen bulbs in stock headlights. With the low beams the road was a lot brighter and with the high beams on I can see far down the road but the sides of the road are still illuminated thanks to the fog lights.

Anyway here is what you bastards are after!

PICS!

Here they are installed

Name:  fogsinstalled.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  90.4 KB

This is just the fog lights

Name:  justfogs.jpg
Size:  29.9 KB

Fog lights and Low beams

Name:  fogsandlowbeams.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  33.0 KB

Fog lights and High beams

Name:  fogsandhighbeams.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  31.3 KB

Front shots (just fogs | fogs + lows | fogs + highs)

Name:  frontfogs.jpg
Size:  37.0 KB
Name:  frontfogsandlows.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  frontfogsandhighs.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  28.2 KB

So again, great purchase, great look and awesome performance. Now I have all winter to collect parts for when the snow melts.