HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Vartok's Civic restoration/eventual upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Check and see if the computer is a P28. It'll say so on the sticker. The computer (ECU) is behind the passenger side kick panel under the dash, against the fender well.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

no, it is a p06. So do i need to buy a new ECU or can i have that one chip for a d16z6 motor?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 AM

You can convert a P06 to a P28 but you have to buy the kit and solder it all together yourself. Some P06s are harder than others. There are all sorts of threads on the internet about it. If you're handy with a soldering iron and want to do it yourself, that's the way to go. If you don't have that kind of time, just buying a P28 will be easier. Make sure you get the right P28 (auto, not manual).

You might also want to look at whether or not the vtec solenoid was wired up. There should be two wires coming off of it. If they reused the original wiring harness, there won't be wires for vtec. You'll have to add them yourself. (Easy).

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

Im guessing that this is it?

Name:  IMG_0512.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  101.6 KB

few more questions..
1. which wires are what in those plugs? (3 wires total)

2. looking in the engine swap section in the vtec conversion sticky... it looks like there are other wire that need to be wired in to the new (or chiped) ECU. Where are they coming from (i.e. physical locations)

3. i know the vtec engines have i higher powerband and redline... will the new ecu change the shift points to match the powerband of the engine?

4. How will the effect gas milage, seeing how this is still a DD (last tank i got 29MPG)

5. Will it harm the engine to be running on the old p06 ECU?

heh, this is one of the reasons i made a project thread... i knew i would have tons of questions... thanks for they help guys (and girls if there are any =P)

Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM

1. Im not sure of the wiring. I thought it was only 2 wires.

4. Shouldn't affect much. It's just vtec vs no vtec.

5. Not that I know of. Again, just means you can't use the vtec, which only kicks in at high RPMs anyways.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
1. Im not sure of the wiring. I thought it was only 2 wires.

4. Shouldn't affect much. It's just vtec vs no vtec.

5. Not that I know of. Again, just means you can't use the vtec, which only kicks in at high RPMs anyways.
I think one of the wires in the green plug is just a ground (read that somewhere) just not sure which

I know most of yall try to stay away from ebay... but this is the computer im looking for right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=#ht_500wt_956

Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

got the tie rods changed today and amazingly, it straightened out the steering wheel ^.^... while i was in town i went ahead and picked up a new fuel filter and valve cover gasket.... will prolly do a valve adjustment while i have the cover off, the valves are a bit noisy, so that should help.... and advice on the valve adjustment before i tare into it?

also changing the master cylinder prolly next week.. any advice is welcome on that as well

Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

ok, im getting the new ECU in tomorrow (along with new windsheild washer nozzles. i hate the stock ones)... what pin is what on the green plug in the pic... i know one goes to the ECU and the other is a ground, but which one? the plug ic connected directly the the solenoid, so i cant see any wires... also, is there anywhere i can order the plugs that go in there and just run wire from there? Junk yards arnt an option (no Civics)

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

Dropped in the p28 and wired up VTEC and no CELs ^.^ Not quite sure its kicking in though... this weekend I may wire in a LED to the instrument panel for a VTEC light. Stopped by a body shop and got an estimate on fixing the trunk damage. That moved up in my priority list after the last time it rained... i though the trunk leaked on just the one side, but it leaks on both.... it got my amp wet >.< Does $300 sound about right to fix the damage shown in the pictures?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Is that body work only or does it include some paint?

Quick Reply: Vartok's Civic restoration/eventual upgrade