Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

"Getting to" my AEM CAI filter

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
HCF Member
Default "Getting to" my AEM CAI filter

I would have put this in Exterior, but this isn't a modification I'm asking about.

I just want to know if taking off the front bumper which is what I was told before to do to get to my air filter is a whole-day job?

I keep putting it off cuz the weather will get semi-cold for a day and then get in the low 20's for a week before it get's right up above freezing again.

My Haynes manual doesn't give any pictures or anything on which bolts to take off. I think it will be pretty clear which ones I need to remove, but I don't know how big of a job this is and I don't know how heavy that bumper is. The manual said to hold it up with a jack stand.

The other things that sucks is that the kid who owned the car before me installed fog lights which totally suck anyway andthey come right out the front of the bumper. I feel if I gotta remove them, I might as well keep 'em off cuz they don't do any help on the road anyway.

I just pretty much wanna know how big of a job this is and if it's gonna require a friend or something to lift the bumper off so it doesn't drop on the concrete.

Any help/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: "Getting to" my AEM CAI filter

no the front bumper isn't heavy at all maybe like 10 lbs. and its only like 10 bolts one on each side of the fender two on the bottom and the rest under the hood and for time i could take mine off like in a min. so good luck

Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 AM
mxs
HCF Member

mine's a 99 but I can take it off myself in about 10 minutes. There might be enough slack in the fog light wiring that you don't have to remove them.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, It's really simple. Will take you about 30 mins tops if it's your first time. Few bolts on the top and a few on the bottom.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Correct me if I am wrong but can't you just take off the fenderwell cover in order to get to your air filter?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

It looks like you can, but it would probably take you at least as long to do that as it would to take off the bumper. I simply cut out some of the fenderwall cover (not much rain and dirt here in San Diego) so that I won't have to do either of the above removals.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

mine's a 99 but I can take it off myself in about 10 minutes. There might be enough slack in the fog light wiring that you don't have to remove them.
The bolts on the top and bottom ... and the bolts on the sides--Does this mean I have to take off the front quarter panels?? If so, how do I get those off??

I was thinking of just driving the front wheels up on my two ramps so it'd be easier to get under the car to get the bottom bolts off.