Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2001 civic with a LOAD or problems cam shaft wear issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 AM
HCF Member
Default 2001 civic with a LOAD or problems cam shaft wear issues?

Okay so we hear hondas are the BEST ON THE ROAD when it comes to reliabilty and not just fuel economy.

I had bought a 2001 civic ex coupe and my dad liked it so he bought a 2001 civic ex sedan.

It has been nothing but a load of problems since we bought it.

His sedan when ran for a while cuts off and loses almost all power. You can't get over 30 or so and well then it starts to run hot. We have never ran it hot.

When it cools down it runs fine again.

We were told the code said it was running on 2 cylinders and 1 and 3 were not working.

So we were told it was either the spark plugs or the coils. We spent over 300 bucks and changed both only for it NOT TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

So now we hear reports this generation has cam shaft wear problems that sets some sensor off and does this. And that the only way to fix the problem is to do a engine swap.

I just don't get it that we are having so many problems. You just DO NOT hear about problems with civics.

What should we do? Does anyone know what is going on?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

Let's say I buy a brand new Civic and proceed to neglect to change the oil, tranny fluid, and air filter for 30,000 miles. Then I sell it to someone who thinks all Hondas are great. Do you see what I'm sayin? When you buy a used car, especially from a used car lot or dealership, there is no way to know how well the previous owner(s) took care of the car. I work with a guy who bought a 2007 Subaru WRX. Within the first three weeks, he's had to take it to the dealership three times (and it still isn't fixed). Are ALL Subarus junk? No, but apparently, the original owner of that one never changed the oil (the turbo is sludged) and who knows what else.

Yes, there are Honda lemons, but they are very few. I'm guessing that the previous owners of your Hondas were not dillegent about maintenance.