Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

advice from the experienced to the less experienced

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Default advice from the experienced to the less experienced

This is my first time in the forums. I have a 2002 Civic EX....stock 127 HP. I have been told that the best way to increase my HP is through a cool air intake. Is this true? If so what is a good intake to get? I also live in Ohio where the temperature changes drastically from winter to summer...I was reading something about a Cold Air Intake that you change in cold temperatures...is that really necessary? Also...should I stick with the stock engine or should I try to save for a new engine? I also need some help in the way of exhaust systems. What should I get from the cat back and what should I get in the way of manifolds??? Should I keep my existing cat and just replace the manifolds and stuff from cat back???

Old 11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: advice from the experienced to the less experienced

you can get a dohc k-series motor for those civics. but it is VERY expensive, and it hasnt been done as much as a typical 88-00 dohc swap. for now i'd stick with the stock motor. maybe a turbo or supercharger would be better. as for the intake, you only need to change it around if you get a lot of rain and stand a chance of sucking water up from big puddles. i'd start with the intkae, then move on to the other ins and outs. i dont know about other brands, but the OBX header for your car also replaces the cat. though i wouldnt recommend it, it has a big lip that would hurt gas flow on the outlet.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 PM

Thanks a bunch Sacicons. Do you have any recommendations for turbos? I read the forums on S/C versus turbos and I think I would be better off with a turbo for my needs. After the air intake...what are usually the next few things to change excluding the exhaust system because i already know I need to do that Thanks again for helping out the newbie

Old 11-01-2004, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

k, if your planning on going turbo, dont bother with the intake, it wont fit with the turbo on there. im not sure who makes a turbo kit for the 01 and up civics, but try greddy first, theyre usually the first ones with new applications.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:42 PM

Ok, I am assuming though that it's much better to go with a turbo than to go with an intake if I had to choose between the two, right?

Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

right.