Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

failed emissions test, any advice from the experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Default failed emissions test, any advice from the experienced?

I just had to take my 95 CX in for the first emmisions test of it's life since I used to live in Michigan but moved to Wisconsin. It failed the HC at .84 with <.80 needed and it failed the NOx at 2.32 with <2.0 needed. I called and got a one month extension on the deadline for passing, but I'll be working out of town for most of it.

I'm running fuel system cleaner through and changed the oil. I replaced the plugs as well. I'm a bit worried after looking at the sparkplugs. the first and last were pretty carbon fouled. the inner two were better looking.

Anyone have some advice on what I can do to pass the inspection next time? I'm short on time and I'll have to pay for any tests past this next one.

btw.. here are different websites answers to carbon fouled plugs:

CAUSED BY TOO COLD A PLUG, WEAK IGNITION, DIRTY AIR CLEANER, DEFECTIVE FUEL PUMP, TOO RICH A FUEL MIXTURE, IMPROPERLY OPERATING HEAT RISER OR EXCESSIVE IDLING. CAN BE CLEANED.

sticking valves, a cracked distributor cap, or bad secondary ignition wires. Fouling of the entire set might result from an incorrect heat range spark plug or an over-rich air/fuel mixture caused by a clogged air cleaner filter element, a sticking heat riser valve, or a faulty choke. Fuel injectors that malfunction can also lead to this condition. Other causes include weak ignition system voltage or an inoperative pre-heating system (carburetor intake air) or poor cylinder compression.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: failed emissions test, any advice from the experienced?

i thought obd1 vehicles didn't need emissions, at least i thought 95 and earlier models didn't have to pass emissions, only state inspection

Old 04-22-2007, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

oh, and i'm not sure for your model, but see if you can use a scanner through your obd port to check for any bad sensors or something that's wrong.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:09 AM

no trouble codes, it's actually been running better than my 98.

96 and newer get a free pass, 95 and older get the full works

on a new note.. good things come to those who wait.. A coworker of mine has a connection to a cheap b16, so my troubles might be short term [8D]