Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

all i got is an intake and

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
HCF Member
Default all i got is an intake and

i have a 04 civic lx auto sedan and all i got on it is an aem sri and a rear strut bar (cant fit the front cuz the intake takes up too much room)

i kind of wana change some things in my car

i want to get an exhaust but they are pretty pricey for me right now, would just buying an exhaust tip help at all...do i have to weld or bolt on

also i want to replace my intake so i can fit my upper front strut bar, but i need a model that will fit a strut bar on top. I was thinking maybe i shud buy a cheap ebay sri that is just one pipe, because mine is 2 pipes and shaped like a cai but goes up at the end instead of down.

also im looking to get a header because i hear they work good with intakes, but i dont know any thing about headers and also is that the same as an intake manifold? any ways, what would be better for me to buy next a header or exhaust (or something around the exhaust like muffler or something)

btw im a complete noob as u can tell and would like to buy parts where i can DIY install so i can learn more (i can get friends to watch me so i dont *** up) so in terms of easy install and price, what should i go for next

Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: all i got is an intake and

ive been researching more on this forum and decided i will get a muffler first

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...1a2/index.html

whats the diff between the 2.5 and 3 inch inlet

ill go to a shop to get it installed and im wondering if it will fit without paying for any thing else ( read some stuff about custom piping may be necessary)

basically i just want to pay for this and the install nothing else

here is the exact spec of my car
Generation: 7th Chassis Code: ES1 Engine Code: D17A1 Engine Specs:
1.7L 16V SOHC, 115hp @ 6100 RPM[/align]

also, what can i expect to gain from this muffler

Old 09-21-2007, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

well the difference is the begining of the exhaust itself,u will have to get custom piping to that on u wont pay no more than 200 to put it on i pay 130 for mine and i have 2.25 piping. pretty much some ppl will say that u will gain nothin just sound, but it lessens backpressure i guess so maybe not a whole lot of hp if that 8. but for ur front strut bar u can get a neuspeed a friend had same issue on his 02 civic and "fixed it" u can say, but try to post up some pics for a better understanding, good luck

Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Super Cereal Admin

okay, let me start off by saying "please do not get just a muffler; all they do is make noise. You won't see any gains from a muffler on stock tubing."

anyways, here it goes:
Your intake won't clear a strut bar because (I believe.. I could be wrong about this) lx's have vertical throttle bodies. You could do an intake swap (I think you'd need an EX intake mani, throttle body, and intake) to be able to clear the strut bar if you wanted. However, I'm sure you can find strut bars that will clear an LX intake.

Now, on to the header: headers are exhaust manifolds. They replace the stock unit and (almost always) flow much, much better. Generally, ebay manifolds will work (I'm sure people are going to argue with me about this); the only thing you really have to watch is the welds on the header. Cheap headers that have crappy welds may very well blow out a weld, whereas more expensive, quality units run a very low risk of blowing a weld. If you live in Cali or somewhere with strict emissions testing, get either a DC or Hedman header; they're both 50-state legal (DC usually retails for $300-ish, Hedmen Chikara headers retail for about $150). With headers, a $150 header will usually flow just as well as a $300. The exception to the price/flow rule is Bisimoto. If you get a chance to buy an actual Bisi header, jump on it (they cost around $500, but well worth it).

And for the exhaust: think about it: if you have a muffler on stock tubing, the exhaust is constricted in the tubing until it hits the free-flowing muffler. That really accomplishes nothing since the stock exhaust tubing can only flow so much. Please, please either spend the money for a cat-back system or have a custom-bent cat-back installed when you get your muffler put on (2.25" is the most often recommended tubing size for a naturally-aspirated honda).

Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

here is my camera pic

Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 PM

get a header first, over exhaust. will be cheaper, unless you go custom. also, dont buy any parts off ebay, there junk and not worth it. if you buy a tip it will change the sound, nothing with performance.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

thnx everyone, i got some more questions sorry
"custom-bent cat-back installed when you get your muffler put on (2.25" is the most often recommended tubing size for a naturally-aspirated honda"

so if i go to a store to get a muffler installed, will i have to introduce my want for a custom bent cat back, because im a noob and i dont want to get taken advantage of. Lets say i want this custom bent cat back thing for my muffler, i feel like they wll just give me the worst quality job as long as i give them money...so i might either just go with a friend or get an Ebay cat back exhaust so i dont have to ask for anything but an install (ebay ones i have been looking at are generally 200 total with shipping and even if i have an option to save up for a nice brand name i would rather not)

also what are some brand names that make intakes for my lx that will clear for a strut bar, and about how much am i looking to pay

and for the headers, if the 150's are made for my car i will most def get that before a muffler/exhaust. Where would i get this installed any how

also side note: i really want a muffler PURELY for sound, i would rather not pay 200 more for a increase in hp even tho i dished out 160 for my aem sri. I kind of felt like i could of easily bought an ebay one and buy a brand filter. I just want my car to sound cool when i turn it on and have the roar when i drive, because i know no matter what i do to my car it will always be last because well its a 4d civic manual lx 04 so...-_-

Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: pairenoid
also side note: i really want a muffler PURELY for sound
omg...