Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

bottomed out and now my exhaust ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 AM
HCF Member
Default bottomed out and now my exhaust ..

i got a magnaflow cat back on my 04 civic lx and it always layed low. The resonater is lower then my car frame and so i have to go over some speed bumps at an angle. With a lot more weight in my car yesterday i went on a slant and got stuck. I thot i ran something over but realized it was my midpipe or w.e scraping REAL bad. So now i can hear raspyness off the exhaust leak. When i try to tighten my bolts the whole midpipe just moves in the direction i push it, for example I have to hold the pipe with one hand and tighten with the other so it wont shake. Now it was always loose in the first place but i think its a lot more loose after the incident. Am i just being paranoid or is this a problem. When my dad gets home im gona lift it a little and finish tightening the bolts and also try to find out how to make it more stable

Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: bottomed out and now my exhaust ..

That sucks man. Check to see if the welds are still intact while your down there. That might be the source of your raspy noise. I drove a rental Chevy Aveo over a speed bump at 45 mph once. Which resulted in a very similar problem

Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: bottomed out and now my exhaust ..

When I first installed my Magnaflow (and before tightening everything up), the piping was hanging too low. After twisting and pushing while a helper was tightening, none of the sections hung below the frame. In fact, it was so close to the underside of the car that there was meral-to-metal vibration at first. I had to lower it by an eighth of a inch after that.

Take a good look at all the connections and rubber isolators when it's up in the air. Hopefully, if there is damage, it can be welded by a muffler shop for $20.