Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Default CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside

Please help me identify some parts on the throttle body before I start taking things apart and screwing everything up.

I believe "Part A" is the Breather Hose. Am I correct?

I need to figure out what the water bypass hose is, and what the fast idle thermo valve (if equipped) is. I believe that the Water bypass hose is Part B. I'm not sure about C, and if it even matters.

I think that is it... just need some confirmation... really I am just worried about this whole "fast idle thermo valve".

So anyway... just looking for a little support before I start my first mod! Please forgive me my extraordinary n00bness.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside

A- is the valve cover breather. Safe, no problem.

B- is the MAP sensor. Manifold pressure. Safe, no problem.

C- is the fast idle valve you speak of. It has coolant running through it so you need to drain the coolant first unless you wanna give you motor a bath.

Geez, your engine bay looks as bad as mine. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:58 AM

So part B is NOT the water bypass hose? Where is the Water Bypass hose?

Do I need to take off the Fast Idle Valve? The instructions say:

"Disconnect the water bypass hose from the throttle body or the fast idle thermo valve, where equiped, located at the lower portion of the throttle body. Disconnect the opposite side of the water bypass hose, which runs to either the intake manifold or the water outlet neck. Remove the entire water bypass hose and te breather hose assembly from vehicle."

Drain the coolant? I thought this was supposed to be a relatively easy mod.... ?

[] Your comment on my engine compartment makes me cry. I actually spent some time cleaning her this week. I think it looks so bad because it is so close, and also because I didn't take any time to clean the hose, since I knew I was going to replace it.

Here is a wider shot... I think it looks okay.... [] You should have seen it before I de-greased it!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Althius, what kind of intake did you get? I just ordered a AEM V2 and I will probably need to know the answers to your questions also

Old 08-17-2005, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

wow. that engine bay shot brings back some memories. of course when i had a sohc, it wasnt even vtec[&o]

Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 AM

The wider shot looks better. If the engine bay is left too long, sometimes it won't clean up all that great because of oxidation or rust on parts.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 PM

So.... the question at hand.... Is B the water bypass and does C matter? If someone knowledgable (sacicons I'm looking at you!) could confirm Snipers post, or at least extrapolate a little bit I would really appreciate it!

mxs - It is AEM, but it is the original. I imagine they are fairly similar. I think I am going to take pictures and put together a DIY since there doesn't seem to be one out there right now! (That is assuming of course that I don't F it up)

Wish me luck!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Cool, thanks. Mine's a 99 so it might be a little different. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM

More Questions! Argh!

Is it possible that Part D is actually the Water Bypass Tube? It appears to be 'welded' to the breather hose! I would have to remove "Part D" to remove "Part A", since they are connected... Are those the two parts I am supposed to replace? I have two tubes here in my kit. 1)- 1/2" Breather Hose (Part A?) and 2) 5/16" Water Hose (Part D? or Part B?)

Help!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I guess I should have read the title of your post before I replied.

The only thing you have to concern yourself with is A. All that other crap is if you are changing the throttle body. There should be a fitting on your new intake and that is where A goes. If it ain't connected to that black plastic peice that A is connected to- then don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside