Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

California Smog....FAILED =(

Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
HCF Member
Default California Smog....FAILED =(

Fresno, CA

well..just got back from smog testing...i failed....

I failed on Fuel cap functionality Test..which is no prob..i have an autozone gas cap i will borrow a firends for the next test and use that.

My NO (PPM) levels werre also to high but only on the 15mph test...

here are my results

NO (ppm) 15mph
Max 873
Ave 237
Meas 0992

NO (PPM) 25mph
Max 812
Ave 199
Meas 0801

car is an 88 civic hatchback with a d15b1 (dpfi)...

i need help...

on the other side

Smog check = Free FULL SERVICE car wash
Free Retest
I had a dr pepper while i was waiting.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: California Smog....FAILED =(

they tested your gas cap? damn...buy a factory one dude

Old 12-01-2007, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: point break 92

they tested your gas cap? damn...buy a factory one dude

YES they will test the gas cap for preassure...I live also In California. And there emission test are really picky. Must have everything CARB legal or you failed and get[sm=bustedsign.gif]..Yeah I know it sucks..[sm=violent053.gif]

Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

From "Artsautomotive.com"

What causes high NOx (nitric oxide)? High NOx is caused by high combustion temperatures and pressures. Problems that can cause high NOx include:
[ul][*]An inoperative EGR system. The EGR system was designed specifically to reduce NOx; that's it's only function. The EGR, which stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, allows exhaust gas to enter the combustion chamber through the intake. The exhaust gas has a cooling effect on the combustion chamber.[*]Over advanced ignition timing. The more advanced the ignition timing, the higher the combustion chamber temperatures.[*]Overheating. If the engine temperature is too high the NOx emissions will go up.[*]Lean air/fuel mixture. If the air/fuel mixture is too lean the combustion temperature will go up.[*]Compression over specification. Normally when we think of engines aging we think of the compression going down. However, there are a couple of ways the compression can increase as the engine is used. One is carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons. When carbon forms on the tops of the pistons, the combustion chamber area decreases and the compression ratio increases. The carbon can be manually scraped off the tops of the piston to correct this problem, but that would require disassembling the engine. Click here for cheap alternatives.[*]Mysterious reasons. Sometimes NOx is too high and there's no obvious cause: the EGR works, the timing and advance work normally, the engine temperature is within range, the air fuel mixture is good, and the compression is within spec.. When this happens you can try a little tweaking. If there are two thermostats listed for the car, use the cooler one. If there are two spark plugs listed for the car, use the cooler one. Retard the timing 2 degrees (the maximum allowed). Clear out the EGR passage even if the passage seems fine. Cross your fingers. [/ul]