Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CARB Catalytic Converters

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
HCF Member
Default CARB Catalytic Converters

So i am here in california and about to redo my exhaust system on my 1997 civic DX 2dr (d16y7).

Since I am getting custom piping, I am assuming I can use any universal fit cata conv...? For example, if my set up is as follows:

Header: Megan Racing Header 4-2-1
Exhaust: Apex'i N1

And then I get one of these catalytic converters:

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converter - Universal-Fit ACURA CL 1997 - 1999 2.3; 2.2 99234HM

The guy making the piping should be able to just throw it on there no problem I am assuming, and I should be able to still pass smog? He is a cool local guy, not gonna make a huge deal about legality (there are some weird rules about these converters in CA, seems like a money making scheme to me).

I do notice that it does not appear to have o2 sensor spots, but i think i could make a hole with a grommet and get the sensor in right after, or maybe i need one with a spot for a sensor. (I was looking at T2 converters but i see that I cannot use that now.)

So I am just wondering if there is some weird reason this would not work with my car or would cause me to not pass smog?

Or can anyone recommend a good, cheaper way to do this? Taking a catalytic converter off another car or something? For now I am probably gonna go with the set up listed above (not 100% on the muffler), i know I can get money from local junkyards for the core of my catalytic converter, so that should help...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

okay scratch everything. i just need to get Magnaflow 53035 to california somehow, going through every ebay seller first. I will just have someone weld flanges on and ill install it myself. Its not legal in california, but once i take out the mani/cata combo in my car nothing will be legal so might as well go all out. Once i mini-me swap eventually, my new header will magically be legalized and then ill probably look into a CARB catalytic converter.

Went with M2 Manifold (megan) and the apex'i ws2 exhaust.

If anyone wants to ship me one of these catalytic converters I would be endless grateful. In the mean time im gonna harass ebay sellers i guess -_-

Old 04-21-2012, 06:58 AM

You'll like the WS2 much more than the N1. Good choice.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo View Post
You'll like the WS2 much more than the N1. Good choice.
stoked, cant wait for monday. It sounds really nice in the videos I checked out. Also got the cata shipped to me, so I no longer need this thread! EBAY!