Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAT and resonator Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
HCF Member
Default CAT and resonator Q's

I just installed a custom 2.5" exhaust on my 00 DX and noticed some low end power loss, so I picked up a cheep-o ebay CAI to get some of the low end back. The reason I did this is because I'll be doing a mini me head swap soon and dont need anything expensive right now.

So my Qs are:
1) Does this look like a decent header?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...spagenameZWDVW

2) I'm kinda confused about the difference between a resonator and a catalytic converter, I know on a DX the CAT is next to the header and the resonator is about midway through the exhaust, so if I got this CAT it would be bolted next to the resonator it would look like this
=<>==<>= <--resonator and cat next to each other
Is this right, I've never seen an exhaust like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks guys I really appreciate this forum and all the educated civic owners, I'm still learning and any help is great

Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: CAT and resonator Q's

On a DX the cat is built into the exhaust manifold (header) then the end of the manifold connects to the rest of the exhaust piping and it has the resonator built into the piping. If you want to get a header for a dx you have to get a header for an ex then buy a cat (or test pipe) and then an exhaust for an ex. Like it would go ex header connects to cat then connects to ex catback exhaust and the catback probably has a resonator welded into it already.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

^ ok, I actually have an exhaust for an EX...so thats good, but will it look like what I posted? will the cat and the resonator be side by side. If so, how does that effect my performance? Also do I need a resonator? or just the CAT?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

Well technically the resonator is behind the cat not beside it but I think you understand. You don't need a resonator butit will sound ricey if you don't have one and they don't hurt your hp to have one. It can only help you.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

alright one more thing...what do you think of the header?

thanks for the help

Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

Most people on this forum will say that megan racing headers are good for the money you pay for them. So I guess it is an ok header. I just think that dc sports is better because they come in one peice, carb legal, and ceramic coated. Also there are other headers you can buy that are "Best" but you have to give up your a/c and/or your power steering to install them. So I guess megan racing if your on a tight budget and don't want to spend much and dc sports if you want to spend more and get a slightly better header.