Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Catlytic Converter Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
tgs
Question Catlytic Converter Sensor question

I have a 2001 Civic EX in the shop right now for a check engine light and was told the Catalytic Converter or sensor is not working. They want to charge me $320 to replace the sensor.

My question is...is this something my boyfriend can do for me? He's worked on other older cars (like my last '95 Civic) so has knowledge, but I've had this car for a year and he's only worked on it once or twice. I know he needs a special tool but don't know how easy it is to get to.

Is it a simple repair?

Also, the SRS light is on, but that's another story! From reading here it seems like I have to go to the dealer.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, your boyfriend should be able do the repair. He'll need an O2 sensor wrench or socket. Check the price of the Honda replacement secondary O2 sensor here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

Keep in mind that the CEL code could also indicate an exhaust leak, although you may not need to worry about this possibility if the mechanic has already identified a problem with the secondary O2 sensor.