Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Ceramic or steel header?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Default Ceramic or steel header?

I did some looking around here and there for headers. I know theres two types the steel and the ceramic, but is it really worth it to buy the steel. Price wise they are alot more then the ceramic ones. I heard the ceramic could crack easier from heat. The stock header is made from ceramic?

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ceramic or steel header?

ceramic disappates heat a bit better than the regular stainless steel

Old 06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

like flip said ceramic dissipates the heat better and therefore runs at a cooler temperature. but the stainless steel will run at a higher temperature and will be able to handle higher temperatures than ceramic before failing. I'm not exactly sure how much more but the ceramic will crack before the stainless steel. but also you have to remember that the cracking temperature for either is still very high on a good quality product and would only be reached in extreme situations most common to occur in racing.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 AM

sigh...where to start

1) there's two types of header, streetable (read, emissions friendly) and race style (read, emissions unfriendly)

2) all headers are steel, some happen to be polished steel, preferably stainless, and others are ceramic coated

3) the ceramic coating is designed to help dissipate heat, i won't get into the mechanics of it, because it's a monday morning, and I just plain don't feel like explaining heat transfer

4) as long as it's a quality piece, you shouldn't have to worry about either failing as a result of heat, as quality pieces = designed & researched, and not just some ebay knockoff (this means the company behind it put some thought into how to make their header)

5) the stock header (depending on year/motor etc) is generally made of a mild stainless steel, or cast iron

6) the temperature of your header is not dependent upon material, it's based on your engine. the surface temperature of the exhaust pipe, and the ambient air temperature around it, is dependent upon the coating of your header.

there's 3 concerns really when it comes to headers

1) cost
2) emissions requirements
3) expected results/future plans

cost is easy, how much do you want to spend?
emissions again, easy, do you live in california?
results/plans, do you want to go forced induction (turbo)? are you staying n/a? do you think adding a header will make you into the fastest thing on the street?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 AM
HCF Member

^ well said.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks, that information was very helpful and detailed. Im not planning to turn the car into a racing car cause of the engine. I think ill go with the ceramic coated headers instead, i live in Georgia. i know not to get them from ebay. Whats the lowest you'll think i can get some good quality ceramic headers. I heard about DC sports, i've seen some around for about $299.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 PM

I just PM'd you Anthony...go read the message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:12 AM

Can you draw a generalization about which type gets the best hp gains? Or is that more dependant on the actual layout of the pipe? I know many many other factors would be involved when talking about hp gains, but that's why I said 'generalization'.(simply trying to flameproof my post)

Also, I'm better versed in the mechanics and physics of engines than I am in actually working on them or the details, specific parts or brand reputations of many of the aftermarket tuner parts manufacturers. Could someone give me a short-list of 'good' brands that are worth looking at when it comes to headers.

I notice that there is typically a pretty significant variance in price on differingbrands of say headers/exhaust/etc on most parts sites. I remember reading 'you get what you pay for' many times in the new member guide, but I guess I'd just like a place to start.

3) the ceramic coating is designed to help dissipate heat, i won't get into the mechanics of it, because it's a monday morning, and I just plain don't feel like explaining heat transfer
If you ever feel like explaining it I'd love the opportunity to read it...

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

Header (exhaust manifold to be most correct) Manufacturers:
Bisimoto
Hytech
DC Sports
Megan Racing
Apexi
Greddy
Comptech
Hedman
HP Racing
Holly
Pacesetter
Kamikaze
Ractive
Ebay generics
Edelbrock
Landspeed Racing
Spoon
Stillen

Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 AM
HCF Member

Unless you are already pushing 600+ horsepower...the differences between ceramic/stainless and 4-2-1/4-1are virtually none.