Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dual exhaust on a 2001 EX???

Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Default Dual exhaust on a 2001 EX???

Hey i've seen a couple civics with dual exhaust and an aftermarket rear bumber. I was lookin at cars to buy recently and someone with a 2000 said they had dual exhaust but only one was functional... the other was just cosmettic.
Now i think thats just stupid.... but i do like the idea of dual exhaust
Say i bought 2 bullet mufflers w/silencers on ebay or somethin and brought them to my local custom exhaust shop
Is two mufflers dumb on a civic??? performance wise i mean??
i would think with two mufflers you'd have less noise and better exhaust flow.
right now i have a completly stock exhaust except for the race cat.
i dont wanna buy just any catback system because most civics i hear are too loud at WOT
and i never wanna use my cat again unless i need to pass inspection...
so a catback and no cat would be too loud...
But dual mufflers w/silencers????
i just fell into a little $$$ so i'm lookin for a new upgrade.... i hope this is it!!!
Let me know if any of you have dual exhaust and how it sounds/performs...
Thanx

Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Default RE: Dual exhaust on a 2001 EX???

If i was going to do dual exhaust on a Civic (personally i wouldnt) I would use one muffler and have them exit out on either end of the single muffler. Or I would run 2 resonators and no mufflers similar to the stock set up on the black car in my sig.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM

hey just wondering what a resonator does??? are they straight threw or like a Cat. Conv. or somethin???

Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

Resonator is basically a straight through muffler that goes between the converter and rear muffler. Its purpose is to tone down your exhaust even more. Pretty much like having two muffler.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 PM

hey well if i ran with no cat, 2 in line resonators, and had dual pipes come out the back with no mufflers, would it be insanely loud???
i mean i KNOW it would be allot loader than stock. But is it a resonable idea????

Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

Umm...well first I'd say keep the cat. I mean it really does serve a good purpose. About the two resonators, I really don't know. But if it were me...I'd just have the cat, a resonator, then have a muffler with two outlets under the car then just have two sets of pipes coming off that muffler to the back of the car...if that makes sense.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 PM

Hey just wondering why the cat seves a good perpose????? ummm... i'm not an environmentalist you could say.... more into whats better for my car.... when i looked at my race cat compaired to my stck cat... i knew the stock cat would only be used one day a year till i get my next car... my exhaust performes exceptional for being completly stock with just a race cat....
i think i'm gunna go race cat... 2 resonators.... and no mufflers...w/dual ewaust pipes. if its too loud i'll get two more resonators to weld near the mufflers would be.... dont have any better ideas.... plannen on porten an pollishen the head and building my valvetrain w/stage one or two turbo cams and a tune till i start boosten

Old 10-13-2006, 12:08 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like a plan. But back to the cat...even if you aren't an environmentalist it's just curtious to other people I guess you could say...I might have misunderstood you...sounds like you've got a cat on there though.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 AM

i got a straight threw race cat.... all my friends say it smells like horrible exhaust when they drive behine me thow.... but i haule *** threw 1st and second almost religously, so it makes sence.... idk.... i've been reading more and i think i'll do race cat, glasspack, and two resonators as mufflers for duel exhaust... i love my budget racer.... my only question is... i've read that 3" piping is too big.... so if i ran a race cat., glasspack, then a ypipe and two resonators for mufflers.... should i have maybe 2 inch piping after the y pipe to 2 inch inlet/outlet resonators to the tips???? i was thinkin of having the y pipe welded behing the glasspack before the rear wheels.
But i know i need volocoty not backbreasure so idk what size piping to use......