Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

is an exhaust nessacary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: is an exhaust nessacary?

in a shop i worked out we were just playing around and took the exhust off of like a 95 civic because they were turning it into a race race (trying anyways)..and it just had the headers, everytime he reved that thing the air would turn black and it was noisy as hell..we couldent even stand inside the shop

Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

not having exhaust will also get fumes in your car and it would smell.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Is an engine necessary? Not really, but it sure helps!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

dont run an engine more than a couple of seconds without a header(at least!!) as remmy mentioned, it can cause serious damage. it lets cold air rush into the head and if you cool super hot valves really quickly, they can crack. and an exhaust is mostly for noise control, and to make the exhaust fumes exit behind the cab, so they dont get inside as much. carbon monoxide can kill you. or at least make you pass out and wreck.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

actually i would say... yes an engine is necessary.... i dont want to yell yabadaba-doo will my feet get all skuffed up.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: oneeyedskully

i was wondering if you really had to have an exhaust on your car, like could you just run a pipe out to the side behind the front tire or would that somehow mess up your car?idk just a thought.
leave it off ........ just think of the $$ you'll save on replacement parts

Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: dj_ipirate

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

actually i would say... yes an engine is necessary.... i dont want to yell yabadaba-doo will my feet get all skuffed up.
An engine isn't necessary, it's a luxury. Does every bicycle have an engine?

Old 10-26-2005, 09:10 AM

you can do it, but it will stink, and be very loud. i had side pipes on a montecarlo once, just cherry bombs coming out the side, it sounded like crap and smelled bad all the time.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: SkItZiAnIsT

wouldnt the exhaust fumes get sucked back into the engine if there was no header? since i have a warm air intake, installing a cold one this weekend, it would be running off exhaust fumes
he will have headers but the pipe will come out the side of the car (at least i think that's what he said). yeah, i know a lot of people who've done that. if you live in a state where there's no smog testing and the police don't care about the sound it makes, then its cool. it will reduce back pressure as long as you don't bend the piping too much. it will be really fricken loud.