Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 AM
HCF Member
Default Exhaust Problems

Not too long ago I bought a 95 civic 4dr lx that was someones project car and gave up. the Exhaust on it sounded great. Then after driving the car for a while, I found that the O2 sensor was welded into the header in a very bad way. There where exhaust leaks coming out of no where. It felt as if the cat was clogged and sure enough last week the exhaust came apart. Oh yeah and the muffler was mounted for a body kit and pushes up againts the stock bumper I installed. So I said **** it. Got a whole new system off ebay. Got a SR5 cat back system. An OBX high flow cat. And a JDM black powder coated header. I got the cat back and the cat today which is all I needed to get it on the road again. It looks great, bolted on, added more power, but does not fit that great and I have the same problem with the Muffler pushing up againts the bumper. And, it has a removeable silencer that I can not figure out how to get off so I have no idea what it sounds like because it is pretty quiet.

so I geuss my question is, does anyone know how to take the removable silencer off? I took the bolt out, but it just sits there and does not come out. It seems like I have to pry it out some how but I am pretty sure that I shouldnt have to do that. anyone have any ideas?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Exhaust Problems

take the bolt off , start up the engine, rev it some , maybe the exhaust pressure will blow it out

Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM
HCF Member

grab it with pliers and it should come right out man.

also, just go to a muffler shop and have them weld some longer hangers on the muffler, that should fix it real easily.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

Thanks dudes. Yeah I thought of taking the bolt off and reving it up. I will try it soon here. And I thought of bringing it to a shop and having them mess with it. Just wanted to make sure those where good ideas and they seem to be. Thanks again.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

my friend has a similar problem, just take the bolt out and grab it with pliers and pull hard, you should be good. You could WD-40 it around the edges as well. It'd prolly smell weird for a little while but it'll probably help it come out easier.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

Well, I tried to take the bolt out and rev it. It didnt come out. I even tried to pull it out with pliers. The bastard is stuck. But I noticed the tone got a little louder as I was driving it today so maybee it needs to break in or something. Spraying wd-40 is a good idea too. I will try that also. Thanks again.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

Well, this silencerjust is not coming off. I geuss I just need to keep driving it until I get it off. I might also just use the old muffler I had also. Who knows.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Pics would help, since not all silencers are the same shape. I'm guessing you have the silencer that just pretty much blocks the entire outlet, minus a stock-sized piece of tubing in the center? If that's the case, take out the bolts andtake vice grips (trust me on this one... vice grips work so much better than pliers), and attach them to the top of the littleoutlet on the silencer. Now pull. If it doesn't come out right away, remove the vice grips and put them on the bottom and pull. Just keep repeating that (alternating top& bottom every so often)and it should come out. Also, yanking quick and hard helps... dont' be worried about hurting anything. I'm sure your exhaust system can take it.
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend the revving your engine thing. I really hope AOL.COM was joking about that.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Thanks, yeah I geuss I will keep trying. I actually drove the car for like 2 days without the bolt in hoping it would come out. Probably wasnt safe, but I was loosing my patience. And, it didnt come out. The guy on ebay told me the same thing, to rev it up. But, I will keep trying. I will try to post pics soon too.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

take it to a shop and see if they can take off the silencer.

unless it was welded on, they should be able to get it out with some industrial strength tools.