Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

Unless you get a turbo you don't really need to tune
It would be pointless with simple bolt ons.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

No, I wouldn't tune it yet. But I'm saying if I got it after i had my turbo tuned, would I have to retune the car? I know i wouldn't have to retune if just put a catback on.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle
No, I wouldn't tune it yet. But I'm saying if I got it after i had my turbo tuned, would I have to retune the car? I know i wouldn't have to retune if just put a catback on.
So your plan is to buy the turbo, get a tune, and then later on get an exhaust, correct? And your question is would you need another tune after you get the exhaust if you did everything in that order?

In theory, putting the catback on would allow for better air flow and would alter your air/fuel ratio. Depending on how much it alters the a/f ratio would be what would determine if you'd need a tune or not. I know that if you get an exhaust and don't have a turbo, you don't need a tune, but i'm not sure if you need another tune if you get an exhaust after you have already tuned for the turbo.

My guess is that getting the exhaust would not change the a/f ratio enough to make getting another tune necessary.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle
I'm assuming it would at least a little, but a would it matter a lot? Also, would a different header make a huge difference too? Or would just new cat back be sufficient?
you can't have a header and a turbo at the same time
a turbo uses a turbo manifold, not a header.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

That's what I thought. I was confused though. Thanks for straightening me out. Man I am so tempted to just order the kit. Only prob is that I would be putting all 3k on my credit card. I'm trying to hold off for a few weeks to try and pay for part of it straight.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

With forced induction theres alot more air going in and out of your engine so any change in intake a exhaust has a bigger effect than a stock setup. They say an aftermarket exhaust and intake is highly recommended in order to have a boosted application.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

I'm thinking I might wait till spring to do the turbo, since by the time I installed it now, it would almost be winter. But, I think I"m going to go ahead and get an exhaust and move my catalytic converter back to under the car so I can just pop the turbo on later, and not have to mess with moving the cat(so I don't get a CEL).

My friend said I shouldn't get magnaflow, but rather I should get something custom. I'm not sure what he meant by custom. Anybody know what custom would mean?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

You can get a custom-bent exhaust, but it won't be stainless steel. I wouldn't trust a custom-built muffler unless it was made by a well-known manufacturer.

Also, using your credit card to pay for a $3000 kit is not good when you look at how much you'll end up spending by the time everything is paid off. Keep the card for stuff you pay off when the bill comes in. Using one for big expenses can put you in a never-ending spiral that you can't get out of. I know, because I've done it before - never again!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

id give my magnaflow 9