Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Megan Racing Header Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
HCF Member
Default Megan Racing Header Problem

I bought a Megan Racing Header for my 2000 Civic Ex about 5 months ago. After only having the car on for a very short time, it started making a loud noise, like there was an exhaust leak. After screwing around for a long time, it finally came down to the gasket between the two pieces of the header. After having to argue back and forth with Megan Racing for 2 months, I finally got the gasket. I followed all their instructions on torquing them to the right specs. Everything was quiet and there was no leak, now only 1 week after replacing it, the noise is back.

It seems like the gasket took a crap yet again. The gasket is actually splitting down the center. The gasket looks like 2 pieces of harder material with light material in the middle. The light material seems to keep burning up.

I don't know what the heck I am suppose to do, but it's getting sickning dealing with this all the time. I hate driving my car because it sounds like a piece of crap. If I get a gasket from Megan racing it will be 15 bucks. Most likely do the same **** all over again.

Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Megan Racing Header

you can buy gasket material from auto parts stores, try making your own

Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

I guess I am asking if anyone else had problems like this? Is there some reason this is happening. I mean yeah if you tighten the bolts to tight you can squeeze the gasket out, but we even followed the company specs.

I am about ready to be some heat proof epoxy on the damn pieces and glue them together.

I have never had so many problems with a product in my life.....read my prior post about how the pipe they sent when mounted the O2 sensor wouldn't install because the half shaft was right in the way.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

I just installed a Megan Racing header about a week ago on my 98 EX. The only problem I had was that I failed to reinstall the factory "donut" gasket between the header and the cat. I could definitely hear a loud exhaust leak so I put in that gasket as soon as I had a chance.

As far as your problem goes, I have no idea why the gasket keeps splitting. Is there a HUGE amount of stress on it or something? Good luck with that one...

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

Considering there were no instructions sent with the header. I bolted everything up like I figured it should be done. Megan Racing than told me to torque to a certain spec (sure would be nice if they put this on a sheet of paper and put it in the box).

Guess I am SOL on this one....... Megan Racing can eat the fat one. First time and last time customer of theirs.

Next step is to unbolt it, put it in the box, fill it with **** and mail it to them!!!