Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Default Need Help?

I have a question guys I don't know if I'm in the right place, but Im new so forgive me. I'm planning to buy a 2000 honda civic si. The blue book value is around 9,000. This particular car has been wrecked twice, has a body kit, some body damage, no airbags, has 61,000 miles on it and Im thinking about offering 4,000.00. It has an intake but the exhaust has moderate dark smoke coming out. Unsure if its burning oil cause I don't know if exhausts burn oil or if its even normal. Give me some ideas and information please. Gonna test drive it tomorrow. By the way, its actually a nice looking car besides some of the defects.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 AM
raz
HCF Member
Default RE: Need Help?

What state are you in? You might wanna check out NADA.com also for another accurate value of the car.
From what I know ( and I could be wrong) the black smoke you see on the exhaust is normal..if its on the back bumper its most likley from the exhaust being to close to the bumper. I see cars like that here all the time.

your thinking about offering 4k? how much deos the seller want cuz if its near the 9k blue book value you see..something just doesnt seem right to me.

from experiance watch for cracks in the manifiold, look for oil leaks, coolant leaks and always check for fram dmg. when you open the hood look at all the reinfircments! if you se buckles..walk away.. cuz that means repairs on the car were not done correctly which is gonna lead to nightmars for you.

MAKE SURE THE VEH IS NOT A SALVAGE TITLE!! if it is make sure you ins company will cover for that also

is the kit fiberglass? and how bad are these defects. Just remeber fiberglass is easily chipped and can looked trashed quickly if not taken car of.. Meaning trying to avoid that huge rock in the middle of the freeway like your life depends on it.

remeber painting and body work can get very pricey!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM
raz
HCF Member

http://nada.com/for easy reference..also you stated no airbags?? I didnt see that before...Those are AT LEAST 500 a piece not including install. Prob more like 800-1000
I personally based off the things you mentioned would prob pass unless he took it for the 4k. just get ready for a project

Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually negotiated a little today and decided to pass. It has no more power than what mine has without the hassle. We did offer him 4k, but he denied the offer. Your right it just needed too much work for what he's asking for it. My bet he bought it at an auction for 500-1000 bucks.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 AM
raz
HCF Member

Glad I could help